Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Severity, aching pains of the lower extremities occur due to pathological changes in the blood vessels. As a result, the blood does not fully flow to the muscles and nerves, does not carry away toxic metabolic products from them.
This is how the pain syndrome appears, the cause of which lies in the irritation of the nerve endings. It hurts especially often in the popliteal region. This may be due to the onset of varicose veins, when muscle tone in this area weakens and the blood begins to stagnate. Such violations are fraught with subsequent thrombus formation in the popliteal zone.
Signs of venous insufficiency
The main symptoms of the development of varicose veins under the knee include:
- The appearance of a feeling of heaviness in the legs, which increases in the evening, is the first sign of an incipient disease;
- Spider veins can be seen behind the knee, veins protruding above the skin surface can be felt;
- Pain sensations for each patient will be different: pulsating, dull, aching. Their intensity depends on the time of day, the degree of damage during the expansion of the veins. Most often, they occur when moving, when a person climbs stairs or steps over obstacles. And these pains can be one-sided, under the left or right knee;
- The skin in the popliteal region becomes dry, irritated, itches constantly;
- The onset of cramps in the calf muscles with varicose veins usually occurs at night, and the appearance of numbness, a feeling of fatigue indicates a protracted pathology of the venous circulation;
- When the nature and direction of pain changes, it is necessary to urgently consult a doctor, because these signs indicate developing thrombophlebitis.
Causes of varicose veins in the popliteal region
It is the weakened veins under the knee that cause them to expand. Stretched out, they not only have weak walls, but also damaged valves, which are necessary in order to restrain the flow of blood from backward flow downward.
This state of the vessels indicates their damage due to trauma, inflammation, the presence of blood clots, blood clots. The latter more often injure the walls of deep veins.
The provoking factors for the development of varicose enlargement include genetic predisposition, hormonal disorders, large body weight, pregnancy.
Why are women more likely to suffer from varicose veins?
The thing is that during pregnancy, childbirth, the load on the legs increases. The use of contraceptives also changes the tone of the walls of blood vessels, and wearing tight clothing, belts leads to stagnation of blood in the lower leg, which provokes varicose veins.
An improper lifestyle also leads to venous pathology. People of certain professions are at risk of getting sick, which requires long standing - nurses, teachers, flight attendants.
Varicose veins under the knee: treatment method
Expansion of veins is considered not only a cosmetic defect, but also dangerous for the patient's health with its consequences. Therefore, treatment should be aimed at reducing negative symptoms, the causes of the disease.
Treatment with medications
The drug Ibuprofen is necessary to relieve inflammation, reduce pain in the popliteal cap, if varicose veins are diagnosed. In order for the effect of the treatment to be positive, it is necessary to take two tablets of the medicine three times throughout the day with a duration of use of five days. External treatment with ointments of the affected area should take no more than three weeks.
Gel Lioton, which contains such an active substance as sodium heparin, fights the formation of blood clots, relieves puffiness, and eliminates increased permeability of the vascular walls. After rubbing into the area of the pathological process no more than three times a day, after a week, you can feel relief, a decrease in inflammation.
Possessing P-vitamin activity, the drug Troxevasin tones the veins, relieves swelling at the site of inflammation, reduces permeability, capillary fragility. Thanks to the tool, the risk of thrombosis is reduced. Apply the gel in the morning, in the evening, rubbing into the varicose zone until completely absorbed. Joint treatment with taking capsules with meals, one twice a day, will enhance the effect of the therapeutic effect on varicose veins.
Varicose veins - treatment with folk recipes
Among the recipes of traditional healers, the following are considered the most popular:
- Horse chestnut seeds are useful for veins, which, crushed in an amount of 50 grams, are poured with a glass of vodka, insisted for a week in a dark place. Tincture is rubbed under the knee before going to bed;
- Cold knee wraps using apple cider vinegar will eliminate swelling, relieve pain;
- Highly effective compresses from grated raw potatoes, which are applied to the area of the protruding vessel, wrapped in polyethylene film and thus left for three hours. Daily wrapping will help restore elasticity to the veins, relieve pain that provokes varicose veins;
- Mother-and-stepmother is used to treat sore veins and in the form of dressings and drinking. A glass of decoction of the herb a day will have a good anti-inflammatory effect;
- Foot baths with the addition of a solution prepared from oak, willow, chestnut branches, boiled for half an hour, will soothe pain in the popliteal region. You can add extracts of chamomile, St. John's wort, string to the mixture. Such water treatments are especially useful before bed;
- Lilac leaves, applied to the site of venous lesion for several hours, relieve inflammation well under the knee.
Useful procedures in the treatment of varicose veins
Treatment with a laser beam will allow the vessel to be hardened so that the enlarged vein disappears from the surface of the tissues. The laser catheter also destroys the diseased vessel. Thanks to laser energy flashes, the walls of the veins are heated, thickened, and completely closed. This procedure is called ablation.
Compression therapy has a beneficial effect on the treatment of varicose veins, helping not to develop various complications. Compression of the leg improves blood circulation and stimulates blood flow up the leg, directly to the heart.
Sclerotherapy is called a safe, effective treatment that involves injecting chemicals into damaged blood vessels to cause veins to close. This procedure is effective for small varicose veins in the popliteal area.
Prevention of varicose veins under the knee
Frequent position changes during sedentary work play an important role in the prevention of vascular disease. To improve blood circulation, it is necessary to flex and extend the knee every half an hour, walk around the room every hour.
For the prevention of varicose veins, try not to sleep while traveling in a sitting position.
Morning exercises for sore veins should consist of exercises such as swinging your legs, standing on your toes when you suddenly lower yourself to the floor.
A contrast shower of a problem area in the morning will strengthen the vessels, increase the elasticity of the vessel walls. At night, you need to sleep with a roller under your feet so that they are higher, which will allow the current not to go back.
In case of onset pain in the popliteal region, compresses from a cloth moistened with apple cider vinegar or a mass of mashed fresh tomatoes will help. By massaging the affected area by rolling a wax candle over the back of the knee, you can quickly return the vessels to their original place. Sitting posture plays an important role in the prevention of venous disorders: you should not cross your legs or cross your legs.
A correct diet, giving up bad habits will only strengthen vascular health.