Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Clean and beautiful skin without flaws is every person's dream. And when various formations appear on the body in the form of acne, blisters, spots, discomfort and unpleasant sensations arise. Very often they also itch and cause a strong burning sensation. This phenomenon can be observed in almost everyone, regardless of age.
The rash can affect various parts of the body. Blisters often appear on the elbows and knees. Their origin is very different: from mechanical damage to symptoms of diseases. This rash is very painful, because these parts of the body can be easily injured. Why do blisters appear on my elbows and knees and how to deal with them?
The same rash can appear on the knees and elbows at the same time. This is due to the similar structure of the skin on these organs. Therefore, the types of rashes and their symptoms are almost the same.
The classification of formations depends on their origin. In total, there are several types:
- Mechanical, resulting from mechanical damage to the skin;
- Allergic, appear as a result of allergic reactions, most often large watery blisters that itch a lot;
- Burns, resulting from exposure to high temperatures, can be thermal, chemical and solar;
- Symptomatic, appear as a result of the development of an infectious disease;
Depending on the localization, the following are distinguished:
- Singles - only one or several appear, but independently of each other;
- Paired - most often filled with pus, appear at the same time, identical in shape, merge when ripe.
In addition, blisters are distinguished by their shape:
- Transparent bubbles. The most harmless among the formations. Most often they are filled with ichor. They disappear after a few hours or, at the most, after a few days, on their own.
- Yellow bubbles. They appear rarely, but if handled carelessly can cause irritation.
- White boils. Most painful, they are filled with pus and require urgent treatment.
Symptoms of blisters on the elbows and knees
The appearance of watery bumps on the knees and elbows is hard to miss. They are conspicuous and cause cosmetic discomfort.
In addition, the appearance of such blisters on these parts of the body is accompanied by some unpleasant symptoms:
- Painful sensations - arises as a result of the fact that the skin is stretched, and the blisters can be damaged;
- Severe itching - can occur at different phases, in the case of mechanical and burn formations, itching appears during the healing phase and is not characterized by strong intensity, with allergic and symptomatic rashes, itching is growing and disappears only after the focus of the disease is extinguished, in addition, it may appear burning in places of profuse lesions;
- Swelling of the skin - occurs around large rashes, complicates the work of the elbow and knee joints;
- Redness - this symptom is almost always observed, moreover, redness can affect large areas around the knees and elbows;
- An increase in body temperature - lesions of the skin on the knees and elbows can provoke an inflammatory process of various sizes, as a result of which the temperature may rise;
- General weakness - blisters can occur against the background of serious skin diseases along the way with general malaise, aching bones and poor health.
Symptoms depend on the cause of the blisters on the knees and elbows. Therefore, before taking measures, it is worth finding out their origin.
Causes of blistering
Such unpleasant formations can appear as a result of many reasons.
Doctors divide all factors into internal and external ones.
External reasons include:
- Mechanical damage to the skin on the elbows and knees. In case of a fall, due to uncomfortable clothing, abrasions and scratches.
- Allergic reactions. These include synthetic clothing, cosmetics and detergents. Allergies can also be caused by insect bites, which can also trigger the appearance of rashes.
- Burns. Large watery blisters arise from thermal or chemical exposure to the skin or from prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Hormonal disbalance. With an imbalance of hormones in the body, various symptoms may appear. One of them may be blistering rashes. They are seen all over the body, including the knees and elbows.
- Avitaminosis. It manifests itself in the form of various rashes, most often on the elbows.
- Various skin conditions, symptoms of which are blisters. There are several such diseases, and in order to cope with their manifestations, you need to recognize the symptoms in time and consult a doctor.
Blisters are the main symptom of many skin conditions. Among the most common are the following:
- Hives. Small watery blisters that cause severe itching can be a symptom of hives. First of all, they appear on the elbows. They arise as a result of an allergic reaction or dysfunction of internal organs. Vesicles of urticaria with a very thin surface, filled with ichor. They are easily injured when the arm is bent, and can be painful.
- Chickenpox - small group watery formations. Concomitant symptoms are severe itching and fever. The localization of the rash is different: it can be several blisters or covered with the whole body. After 5-6 days, the blisters burst and crusts form. Typically, you can get chickenpox only once.
- Eczema. This disease can manifest throughout the body, but the most common lesions are on the elbows and knees. Eczema is a blister that bursts and a long process of flaking begins. At the same time, the affected areas are very itchy and irritated.
- Dermatitis. The first manifestations of allergic or atopic dermatitis appear on the elbows. They are in the form of watery blisters, the skin around which swells and reddens.
- Psoriasis. It is a genetic disorder characterized by the appearance of blisters and crusts on the skin. The first stages are almost imperceptible. But with an exacerbation, rather large formations appear, then burst and dry up.
Treatment of such diseases should be under the supervision of a physician. Long-term non-treatment can lead to exacerbation and complications.
Treatment and prevention
If blisters appear on your elbows or knees, don't panic. Some of them pass quickly without leaving a trace. However, if symptomatic rashes appear, the cause should be treated with drug therapy. The course and duration of therapy is determined by a dermatologist.
If blisters have arisen due to domestic factors, you can fight them yourself at home. Do not squeeze them out, this, firstly, severely injures the skin, and secondly, it can lead to infection and inflammation. If the blisters are watery, remove the liquid with a needle. Ate a rash in the form of purulent boils, do not pierce. It is better to use funds that accelerate the process of maturation of the abscess.
At home, you can take the following steps to relieve pain:
- Cool knees and elbows with cold compresses;
- Reduce movement of the affected parts of the body so as not to damage the blisters or provoke them to rupture;
- In case of damage, disinfect the affected area;
- If the rash itches a lot, you can take an antihistamine, for example, "Citrine", "Calcium gluconate";
- When the blisters begin to heal, this process can be accelerated by applying topical ointments such as Levomekol.
But only prevention can be better than cure. Therefore, in order to protect yourself from various kinds of rashes on your knees and elbows, you should follow certain rules:
- Observe the rules of personal hygiene;
- Wear comfortable clothes made from natural fabrics;
- Monitor your diet, fill it with vitamin products;
- Monitor your health and consult a doctor at the slightest suspicion;
- Be careful to avoid injury.
With the timely detection of a problem and contacting a specialist, complications and possible pathologies can be avoided. Sometimes self-medication can only do harm, do not forget about this.