Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Constipation is a fairly common intestinal disorder that can cause a lot of discomfort. If a person empties the intestines less often than three times a week, and the state of health worsens at the same time, we can talk about the presence of constipation. You cannot wait until the situation is resolved by itself, since harmful substances from the feces will sooner or later begin to be absorbed by the intestines, leading to serious diseases.
Causes of constipation
Just like that, a person with a healthy digestive system will not have such a condition, serious prerequisites are needed for him. The main causes of intestinal distress include:
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. It is not surprising that many diseases of the digestive system, for example, ulcers, cholecystitis, tumors are accompanied by either diarrhea or constipation.
- Improper nutrition. Normally, a person should drink as much water as possible, eat a lot of fiber, which helps normal bowel function, and eat a variety of foods. Irregular eating can also lead to constipation.
- Lack of sports. Weak abdominal muscles and irregular physical activity will lead to fecal congestion.
- A long course of certain medications. Often bowel disorders are observed while taking antibiotics, oral contraceptives, drugs based on potassium and aluminum.
- Prolonged stress. Constant nervous tension affects not only the psychological state, but also the digestive system.
Constipation during pregnancy and after childbirth
Often women notice that in the process of carrying a child and after childbirth or a cesarean section, bowel problems interfere with a normal life. Therefore, the question of how to establish a chair during pregnancy and after childbirth is of great interest to them.
The reason for disturbances in intestinal work during pregnancy, in addition to all of the above, is also that with an increase in the uterus, the intestine is compressed, moreover, too active peristalsis can lead to the fact that the uterus also begins to contract, which is simply unacceptable when carrying a child.
After childbirth or a cesarean section, the body is just beginning to bounce back, so the situation is not much better, especially if many stitches were applied after a natural birth or an epidural was given for a cesarean section.
So how do you manage stool after childbirth or caesarean section? The following tips will help to correct a delicate problem both during pregnancy and after childbirth:
- Normalization of nutrition. You should not eat only pasta and meat, forgetting that there is a huge variety of fruits and vegetables. The fiber contained in them has a wonderful effect on peristalsis, improving it. Dairy products will work as a mild laxative. You should never eat dry food, the amount of water during the day should be sufficient. You should not get carried away with sweet buns and legumes - they can cause flatulence and pain, it is also better to exclude nuts that contribute to constipation until digestion is normalized. In the evening, it is better not to eat heavy meat dishes, it is better to transfer them to the first half of the day, and also not to eat two hours before bedtime. Dinner is best done light, such as a salad.
- Leading an active life. Lack of movement and a sedentary lifestyle will not benefit anyone, let alone a pregnant woman or a woman who has recently given birth, even more so. A woman expecting a baby can sign up for yoga or physiotherapy courses, who have already given birth need to consult a doctor who will determine the permissible degree of physical activity.
- Elimination of nervous tension. You can use herbal sedatives, but before doing this, you should definitely consult your doctor. Herbal teas are not only very tasty, but also good for the nervous system.
- Timely treatment of recurrences of chronic diseases that can cause unpleasant disorders.
How to improve stool while dieting
Every woman dreams of being slim and graceful, so women often go on unbalanced diets, the result of which is not only short-term weight loss, which is very difficult to maintain, but also digestive disorders, most often in the form of constipation.
Extremely low-calorie diets are considered the most dangerous, in which you can eat no more than a thousand kcal per day. Of course, after such diets, the intestines simply "go crazy", since the food supplied to the body during the diet was not enough for normal peristalsis. As a result, after an exhausting diet, the normal rhythm of digestion is lost, and constipation occurs.
Another type of unfavorable diets are protein diets, which are based on increased consumption of protein foods. The problem is that protein makes digestion difficult, so after a protein diet it is very difficult to "speed up" digestion.
How can you improve constipation stools while dieting?
- Fractional nutrition will help to activate the work of the intestines, plentiful food, on the contrary, will slow it down;
- A large amount of fiber will contribute to normal digestion;
- In no case should you skip breakfast, which starts the work of the intestines;
- Drinking plenty of water will not only help you avoid overeating, but it will also aid in the digestion of food.
All of the above tips for normalizing bowel function in case of constipation after pregnancy and against the background of a diet will also help those who are interested in how to establish regular bowel movements in an adult, since there are simply no special tips for certain categories of people.
Drug treatment should be used only in extreme cases, because after too frequent use of drugs for constipation, one day the therapeutic effect will disappear.
Opponents of medication are interested in how to fix a stool with constipation with folk remedies. A long time ago, people noticed that some food helps with constipation, so all recipes are based on exactly these products:
- Three teaspoons of bran must be poured with water or milk and left overnight, then eat in the morning;
- Fresh kefir must be drunk at night, you can add one teaspoon of vegetable oil to it;
- Coriander has a laxative effect, so it should be used as a seasoning as often as possible;
- Carrot tops need to be dried and ground, then in one glass of hot water, brew a tablespoon of dried tops, drink the mixture on an empty stomach half an hour before the first meal;
- Chop dried fruits (figs, prunes, raisins, dried apricots, dates) and pour in honey, eat three teaspoons a day.
In addition to herbal preparations, massage has an excellent effect, in which it is necessary to massage the abdomen clockwise for five minutes with gentle pressure movements. After this stimulation, the state of health will improve.
Special gymnastics also activates digestion: while kneeling, you need to lower your forehead to the floor and raise your hands. This posture will help stimulate peristalsis.
Constipation is an unpleasant and delicate problem that is not usually talked about. But still, in addition to discomfort and discomfort, such a condition can lead to dangerous consequences, so it is necessary to fight it. Proper nutrition, an active lifestyle, and enough water will relieve digestive problems and allow you to enjoy life.