Table of contents:
- What prunes contain
- How to use it for constipation in adults
- Recipes for babies
- How to choose prunes and use in cooking?
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Prunes are a favorite product of many, which not only has an unusual and pleasant taste, but is also very useful and widely used in medicine. In particular, dried plums are simply irreplaceable in dietetics, prunes are effective for constipation, they must be included in the diet of patients suffering from disorders of the digestive system.
If a problem such as constipation occurs, there are several effective recipes that will quickly help solve it for both the child and the adult without medication and enemas.
What prunes contain
Prunes are dried fruits made from fresh berries of a special dark variety of plums. The fruits are processed in a gentle way, due to which almost all vitamins and trace elements remain in them, which is why it is so useful.
Dried berries with a pleasant characteristic aroma and taste contain:
- a number of organic acids;
- vitamins A, E, C, B1 and B2;
- nitrogenous substances;
- calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium, iron.
Prunes are very useful for pregnant women, those suffering from vitamin deficiency or anemia. It is recommended for the normalization of digestion and weight loss.
If a person constantly works at a computer, experiences great stress on eyesight, while moving little, he just needs a few prunes a day.
These fruits are an excellent prevention of hypertension, atherosclerosis, kidney and colds. And, of course, prunes are the first product that doctors advise for constipation for both adults and children.
How to use it for constipation in adults
Constipation is a violation of bowel movements when stool accumulates, hardens and makes defecation extremely difficult. Usually, the cause of this ailment is an error in nutrition and insufficient physical activity.
But sometimes it can also arise under the influence of other factors:
- in women during pregnancy due to constriction of the growing uterus of the intestines and changes in hormonal levels;
- in the elderly - in this case, the natural slowdown of metabolic processes in the aging body is to blame;
- after taking certain medications - for example, iron-containing drugs;
- in the postoperative period, with diseases such as dysbiosis, hemorrhoids, gastrointestinal tract pathologies.
In most cases, it is undesirable to use medications for constipation, unpleasant side effects may occur that will make the person's condition even more difficult. But it is necessary to solve the problem, at the same time very quickly - after all, the whole organism is intoxicated, not to mention the fact that the patient suffers from abdominal cuts, bloating, flatulence. And just in this case, prunes come to the rescue.
It can be used both in pure form and in combination with other products that also have a positive effect on the functioning of the digestive tract. Maximum effectiveness is achieved if prunes are taken on an empty stomach. It is important to remember to drink plenty of fluids while doing this.
Of course, the easiest way is to take a few berries and just chew them - by the way, this is a good prevention of stomatitis and gingivitis. But the problem is that dried prunes are absorbed by the digestive tract for a very long time, help will not come soon. Therefore, it should be properly processed in order to achieve a quick effect.
The easiest and fastest way is to steam the dried berries. For this, a handful of prunes are sorted out, washed, then put into a bowl and poured with hot water. For 80 g of fruit, a glass of boiling water is enough. After that, the container must be covered and wrapped well. In an hour, the medicine is ready. The broth is poured into a separate bowl and drunk warm. And they eat the berries themselves, chewing well.
For adults, such a mixture for constipation from prunes and other dried fruits is also suitable:
- take ten berries of prunes and dried apricots, five berries of figs, rinse, cover with warm water and leave to swell for thirty minutes;
- mince dried fruits or grind in a blender;
- transfer the mixture to a jar and add two tablespoons of honey, stir;
- close and refrigerate.
This delicious mixture should be eaten one tablespoon each morning before breakfast with warm water. You can add it to kefir, yogurt or oatmeal. Then there will never be problems with constipation.
Useful information: if you don't like the taste of prunes, you can combine it with dried apricots and figs. These dried fruits also help solve intestinal problems and are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Recipes for babies
For babies, you can quickly and easily prepare a medicinal compote from dried berries:
- A bag of prunes - about 100 g - pour 500 ml of water, add 1-2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- The berries must be pre-rinsed, you can cut them into halves.
- Put the pan on fire, let the mixture boil and cook it over low heat for a few more minutes.
- Then turn off and cover.
- The compote should cool to room temperature, but remain warm. Only then is it useful.
To improve the taste, you can reduce the amount of prunes and add dried apricots to the broth.
By the way, this recipe is also suitable for expectant mothers, who also very often suffer from constipation, vitamin deficiencies and low hemoglobin.
You can prepare a decoction of oatmeal, prunes and dried apricots:
- Three berries of prunes, dried apricots and a tablespoon of oatmeal are laid in a thermos.
- Everything is poured with boiling water and infused for two hours.
For babies, the mixture is diluted with water in a 1: 1 ratio. Mom can drink the broth in its pure form and eat the remaining berries with flakes.
If the baby is already six months old and he is receiving the first complementary food, then the steamed prunes can simply be twisted in a meat grinder and added a little to baby porridge, cottage cheese or yogurt. Such dishes are also very good for constipation.
But you should carefully monitor the freshness of the product. Steamed and chopped prunes can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than 1-2 days. The leftovers can be used as a filling in pies for adults.
How to choose prunes and use in cooking?
- Useful advice: only natural, high-quality prunes have healing properties for constipation. Now, unfortunately, it is very common to find a second-rate product prepared according to an accelerated technology and flavored with preservatives, dyes and flavorings.
- Such dried fruit will not be useful, but only harmful, especially for children. Therefore, you should buy prunes only in a checked place, in bulk or in transparent packaging, which allows you to evaluate its appearance and density. It should have a black color, moderate gloss and firm texture. If the color is brown, the prune is too dry, or creeps out when pressed, you shouldn't buy it.
- And one last tip about the use of prunes. These berries give any dish a very pleasant spicy aroma with specific "smoky" notes. Therefore, it can be added to borscht, meat dishes when baked, to prepare salads, snacks and various desserts from it. For example, a grated beet salad with prunes and nuts is very useful. Or prunes stuffed with nuts and sour cream.
Prune sauce can be prepared for future use and served with both meat dishes and sweets. Then all the household will be well fed and healthy.