Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Pathology, which is characterized by the emergence of the lower intestine, is called rectal prolapse. In more understandable language for people, it sounds like rectal prolapse. The disease can occur in people of any age, and even in small children.
What causes the disease
Usually, several factors at once provoke rectal prolapse.
The causes of the disease can be:
- stretching or weakening of the pelvic muscles;
- past injuries of the pelvic floor;
- increased pressure of the intra-abdominal space;
- persistent bowel disorders;
- anal sex;
- physiological features.
Symptoms and degrees of loss
Rectal prolapse appears spontaneously or takes several years to form. Most often, it is preceded by heavy physical exertion, constant straining in case of problems with stool, attempts during childbirth, and a strong cough. Symptoms of the disease are distinguished depending on the stage and form of its development.
What are the symptoms of rectal prolapse:
- false urge to defecate;
- sensation of a foreign body in the rectum;
- pain, discomfort;
- difficulty urinating;
- swelling of the anus, inflammatory, ulcerative and necrotic processes on the mucous membrane;
- the appearance of bloody and mucous discharge from the anus;
- stool disorders: diarrhea or constipation;
- uncontrolled discharge of feces.
Depending on what symptoms are present in a person, 4 degrees of the disease are distinguished.
- Part of the mucous membrane protrudes outward after bowel movement, then it easily adjusts itself.
- The mucous membrane protrudes when straining, it is difficult to get into place on its own. Minor rectal bleeding may occur.
- The rectum comes out with normal tension, it is adjusted only manually. There are persistent rectal bleeding. At times, the passage of feces and gases cannot be controlled. Erosion and necrotic areas are found on the mucous membrane.
- The intestine of the anus falls out at rest, when a person is standing, it is difficult to adjust. Together with it, a part of the sigmoid region can be pulled out.
Disease treatment methods
Rectal prolapse treatment has 2 main methods: conservative and surgical.
Young and middle-aged people in the early stages of the disease are offered conservative therapy, which includes:
- elimination of symptoms;
- elimination of related problems: constipation, diarrhea, bowel disease;
- adjustment in intimate life;
- physiotherapy exercises;
- rectal massage - performed only by a specialist;
- injections with sclerosing substances;
- taking vitamins, proteins and iron.
When conservative treatment does not give results or a person has an advanced state of the disease, surgery is indicated.
The sooner it is performed, the faster the patient will be rehabilitated. After a complete diagnosis, the doctor will decide what type of surgery awaits you. This can be the removal of a prolapsed part of the intestine. Less traumatic plastic surgery is also relevant, during which the intestine is sutured or the pelvic muscles are tightened.
Sometimes, to treat rectal prolapse at home, people use old proven folk remedies that can eliminate the symptoms of the disease. Decoctions, ointments and tinctures are made from medicinal herbs. The most rational in this case are microclysters, steam baths and poultices.
- Steam baths with chamomile are excellent for rectal mucous membrane prolapse. Take such a metal container, which will be convenient to sit on, put 1 teaspoon of plant flowers in it, pour a glass of boiling water into it. Sit on the container and cover yourself with a towel so that steam constantly gets on the affected area and does not go outside. Perform the procedure for 15 minutes. Instead of chamomile, you can use dope leaves or oak bark, the proportions are the same.
- Enemas from decoctions of wound healing herbs (chamomile, oregano, cinquefoil, fennel and others) help relieve pain and inflammation on the mucous membrane. A tablespoon of herbs or a mixture of herbs is poured into a glass of boiling water. Then the solution must be boiled for 5 minutes, insisted for 1 hour and filtered. The procedure is performed 2 times a day, 100 ml of broth is injected at a time. The course lasts 10 days.
- Quince juice poultices work well. Fold a piece of gauze in several layers, soak it in hot quince juice and attach to the affected area. Perform the manipulation several times a day. This method is used not only for the treatment of rectal prolapse, but also for hemorrhoids.
You can help yourself with folk methods only if you combine them with the main treatment in the first stages.
Rectal prolapse during pregnancy and after childbirth
Rectal prolapse often occurs in pregnant women and women who have given birth. During gestation, the uterus presses on the lower intestines, which hinders blood circulation. The rectal lining becomes swollen and inelastic, so any tension can provoke rectal prolapse.
The strong tension that occurs during childbirth provokes a protrusion of the lower intestine and hemorrhoids with existing hemorrhoids. The older the woman, the greater the risk of such complications.
To prevent rectal prolapse, expectant mothers are advised to sit as little as possible, move more often, walk in the fresh air, and do gymnastics for pregnant women.
To rest, it is better to take a horizontal position, if possible. It is forbidden to wear tight clothing, as it does not allow blood to circulate normally and provokes venous congestion.
Only a specialist deals with the treatment of rectal prolapse in nursing mothers after childbirth and pregnant women. You can practice treatment with alternative methods with the permission of your doctor. Basically, symptomatic therapy, diet, special gymnastics are used, candles can be prescribed. When surgery is indicated, it is postponed until the woman gives birth or stops breastfeeding.
How not to worsen the resulting rectal prolapse during pregnancy and lactation:
- after emptying the intestines, wash each time with water at room temperature, so as not to irritate the perianal area with fecal residues;
- wipe the crotch only with soft toilet paper or special napkins for intimate hygiene;
- do not lift weights (more than 3 kg);
- do exercises for the muscles of the perineum several times a day;
- avoid constipation and tension during the act of defecation, if necessary, use laxatives, suppositories or microclysters prescribed by a doctor;
- balance your diet, eat coarse fiber foods;
- with inflamed hemorrhoids, do not visit baths, swimming pools.
Exercises for the muscles of the perineum
An inactive lifestyle, age, the period after childbirth are factors affecting the weakening of the tone of the hip muscles. To strengthen them, you should perform a set of Kegel exercises, which is used both as a prophylaxis and as an addition to the main treatment. This is the most effective method of treatment at home if the complex is performed regularly.
On the first day, do each task 10 times, gradually bring the number of times to 30.
- Exercise 1. Imagine that you really want to use the toilet and you have to endure. Squeeze rhythmically, then relax the sphincter of the anus, and with it the muscles of the perineum;
- Exercise 2. Firmly pull in the pubococcygeal muscle, then relax it gradually, making several stops;
- Exercise 3. Squeeze and unclench the muscles of the perineum at a fast pace, reaching the effect of "flutter". It may seem daunting at first, but after a few sessions it will start to work out.
Avoiding surgery at stages 3 and 4, the patient runs the risk of getting such complications as: acute intestinal obstruction, peritonitis, infringement of the protruding part of the anus and intestinal necrosis.
All these consequences are much more painful and even life-threatening. Love yourself, value your health!