Table of contents:
- Beneficial features
- Calorie content of watermelon
- Is it possible to eat watermelon while losing weight
- Watermelon diet
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Watermelon is a well-known and beloved delicacy by many, which has not only a special taste and aroma, but also a number of properties beneficial to the body. In addition, the calorie content of watermelon is much lower than that of most other fruits and berries, and therefore it is excellent for a diet.
Watermelon is a storehouse of substances useful for the body. It is rich in potassium, magnesium, fiber, and also contains a large amount of vitamins.
Let's consider the composition of the berry in more detail:
- vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, PP, C, D;
- potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and sodium, zinc;
- alimentary fiber;
- folic acid.
The ratio of KBZhU per 100 g of product is as follows:
- proteins - 1, 24 g (1% of the daily value);
- fats - 0.79 g (1% of the daily value);
- carbohydrates - 8, 31 g (3% of the daily value).
- Watermelon contains pectin, which helps cleanse the body of toxins and toxins.
- Due to the presence of potassium salts, watermelon is the most powerful natural diuretic. It is with their help of these salts that kidney stones are effectively removed.
- The watermelon pulp contains lycopene, which prevents the formation of cancer cells, so the berry will be useful for the prevention of cancer.
- Watermelon seeds improve memory, dilate blood vessels and reduce blood pressure.
- Internal (white) pulp improves the microflora of the large intestine, is used to treat dysbiosis and colitis.
- Folic acid contributes to the development of the circulatory system and the maintenance of many biochemical reactions in the body.
Calorie content of watermelon
100 grams of watermelon pulp contains 25 kcal per 100 g, which is 1.5% of the recommended daily calorie intake for an adult. A watermelon wedge weighs 150-200 grams and contains 38-50 kcal.
At the same time, about 130-140 grams of water per slice of watermelon, that is, 3/4 of the entire berry is pure water. Without harm to the figure and the body, you can eat 4-5 slices.
The calorie content of fresh watermelon and other options for its use differs. For convenience, these data are presented in the form of a table:
|fresh watermelon||25 kcal / 100 g|
|watermelon fresh||21 kcal / 100 g|
|canned watermelon||40 kcal / 100 g|
|candied watermelon||209 kcal / 100 g|
|jam||220 kcal / 100 g|
The calorie content of a watermelon can vary depending on the cultivation technology, the amount of harvest and the ripening time of the fruit: the more ripe the watermelon, the more calories it contains. Therefore, if you decide to buy early May watermelons, they will have a minimum amount of calories, since they do not have time to ripen, but they will be less sweet.
Is it possible to eat watermelon while losing weight
Due to its low calorie content and high content of nutrients, watermelon is great for losing weight: it quenches thirst and dulls appetite, therefore it is often included in the menu of fasting days and diets.
Refers to mono-diets and is designed for 3 days. The amount of food is determined as follows: for 10 kg of its weight - 1 kg of watermelon pulp. Divide everything into 5-6 meals. If you are very hungry, you can eat 50 grams of low-fat cheese, such as mozzarella or ricotta, and 2-3 slices of black bread.
It is important to remember that you cannot eat less than the diet stipulates: watermelon is already almost 90% water, that is, roughly speaking, you drink only water for 3 days.
The watermelon diet, as well as the frequent use of this product in general, is not suitable for everyone. Watermelon is contraindicated in the following diseases:
- diseases of the urinary system;
- pancreatic disease;
- diseases of the prostate gland.
Remember that watermelon accumulates nitrates, which it is often pumped with to accelerate growth, which negatively affects health, so always try to buy only seasonal berries that will benefit the body and allow you to effectively lose excess weight.
Also, always check that the fruit is intact and free of cracks or cuts to avoid infection and food poisoning.