Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Biliary sludge is a sediment in the gallbladder, which appears in the presence of various pathological conditions of the organ. There is a certain list of symptoms by which you can identify the presence of a problem. It is important to determine them in time, what determines the success and speed of treatment.
Sludge syndrome: symptoms
In most cases, a similar problem is considered as the initial stage of the onset of cholecystitis and gallstone disease. As a rule, the symptoms are very similar to chronic cholecystitis.
Description of the main features of biliary sludge syndrome:
- Painful sensations. They occur when the sediment moves in the gallbladder, as well as when it irritates the mucous membrane. The pain is concentrated in the right hypochondrium;
- Intoxication syndrome. This symptom indicates the presence of an inflammatory process, in which the temperature rises, weakness and migraine occur;
- Jaundice. A problem appears due to the fact that the outflow of bile is disturbed, for example, due to a stone blocking the duct, or a spasm;
- Dyspepsia syndrome. With this problem, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, and stool problems occur. It occurs if not enough bile enters the duodenum.
Sludge in the gallbladder: causes
This problem can be triggered by a number of reasons:
- Dramatic weight loss and adherence to a strict diet. The thing is that with a rapid decrease in the intake of fat from food, bile outflow increases, and these are ideal conditions for the development of sludge syndrome;
- Surgery on the stomach and intestines. Transplantation of various internal organs;
- Taking some medications, for example, cytostatics that resist cell division, and antibiotics;
- Sickle cell anemia. This is a hereditary disease in which there are disturbances in the structure of the hemoglobin protein, which leads to the fact that it comes in the shape of a sickle. In the presence of such a problem, the functions of hemoglobin are disrupted;
- Alcoholic pancreatitis. Inflammation of the pancreas is observed in 1/3 of all patients;
- The presence of various diseases. Biliary sludge syndrome can occur with pancreatitis, gallstone disease, cirrhosis, diabetes mellitus, etc.
There are several factors that increase your risk of getting the disease. These include age over 55, heredity, obesity, unhealthy diet and gender, since sludge syndrome most often occurs in women.
Sludge in the gallbladder: treatment
If a problem is found, the doctor will order an ultrasound scan to determine the uniformity of the bile.
So, today there are several types:
- Echo-inhomogeneous bile with clots. With this problem, bile is not homogeneous, since it contains clots with clear contours. In most cases, they are concentrated on the posterior surface of the gallbladder;
- Suspension of hyperechoic particles. Large clots are not observed, but bile is not homogeneous, since there are many punctate inclusions in it;
- Putty bile. In this case, clumps with precise contours can move.
If any deviations from the norm were found, then it is necessary to undergo a more detailed diagnosis in order to determine the cause of the pathology.
For this, the following research options are used:
- Blood test for cholesterol, bilirubin and transamine;
- Analysis of bile during duodenal intubation. The specialist takes three servings to determine the cellular and biochemical composition;
- Computed tomography allows you to get a layer-by-layer picture of the gallbladder and in the presence of a syndrome, it will be pale.
Diagnostics may include other research methods, since it all depends on the severity of the pathology and the presence of other complications.
Treatment of biliary sludge syndrome is aimed at liquefying and normalizing the composition of bile, removing pain and reducing the risk of complications. Therapy includes several components.
It is necessary to exclude spicy, fried and fatty foods, as well as alcoholic and carbonated drinks from your menu. The menu should be filled with foods rich in fiber, which stimulates the motility of the digestive system. Protein foods are no less important. So, it is recommended to give preference to dietary meat, for example, rabbit, poultry, veal, etc.
For treatment, it is necessary to take into account some principles of nutrition:
- It is necessary to eat in small portions and often. The best option is 5-6 times;
- Eaten food should not be too cold or hot;
- It is important to compose the menu so as to normalize it in terms of the amount of proteins, fats and carbohydrates;
- If biliary sludge is formed due to excess weight, then it is important to exclude from your diet foods that contain simple carbohydrates;
- It is necessary to limit the intake of cholesterol from the outside, in large quantities it is found in the yolk of eggs, liver, pork, sausages, dairy products with high fat content and cheese;
- It is important to drink plenty of water, taking into account that 1 kg of weight should account for 30 ml of liquid. It is needed to make the sediment come out easier.
With biliary sludge syndrome, Choludexan is usually prescribed, which normalizes the composition and concentration of bile, protects and regulates the liver. Choleretic drugs should prevent bile stasis. Treatment is carried out with antispasmodics, which relieve spasm of the bile ducts and restore the outflow of bile. These funds help to reduce painful sensations.
Another necessary medication is analgesics, which are prescribed for severe pain. They are taken with food, so as not to provoke an ulcer. If there is colic, then anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed for treatment.
For the treatment and relief of concomitant symptoms, different drugs are used:
- Often, Cerucal is prescribed against vomiting, which helps to restore normal intestinal motility, eliminates the gag reflex and nausea;
- With a strong manifestation of symptoms, it is recommended to administer drugs with an enema;
- Since vomiting often leads to dehydration, it is advisable to deal with this problem, for example, with the help of Citroglucosolan or other saline solutions;
- When the attack is arrested, it is recommended to use a non-salt laxative, which has a strong choleretic effect.
In the event that the methods described above did not give any result, the doctor may decide to carry out a surgical intervention, that is, the removal of the gallbladder.
In the early stages, treatment can be carried out using traditional medicine recipes, which should be adjunctive therapy. It is important to use them exclusively after consulting a doctor so as not to aggravate the condition.
The most commonly used remedies to treat biliary sludge syndrome are:
- Sandy immortelle. On the basis of the plant, infusions and decoctions are made, which have a powerful choleretic effect, and also have an anti-inflammatory effect;
- Peppermint tea. Adjunctive treatment is given with this drink to relieve bile duct spasm and improve bile flow;
- Tincture with angelica medicinal. Another powerful choleretic agent that also helps to normalize the digestive system;
- Sowing radish juice. If biliary sludge is found, then mix the juice of this root vegetable with honey, which helps to bring down the bitterness;
- Kolob. To cleanse the body, it is necessary to consume 2 teaspoons of oil cake during meals;
- Bird bile. By treating with this remedy, you can dissolve the flakes and liquefy bile.
Biliary sludge in the gallbladder: prevention
There are several basic guidelines to help prevent the problem from developing:
- First of all, you need to monitor your weight and it is best to adhere to proper nutrition so that the body receives the necessary vitamins, minerals and other important nutrients;
- You can not start diseases associated with the liver, so treat on time;
- It is also necessary to control the dose and duration of medication intake.
We have presented to your attention basic information regarding such pathology as biliary sludge.
Monitor your health in order to identify the problem in time and start treatment. This will help you achieve quick results.