Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Poisoning really any product, not just toxic or poisonous, it all depends on how much of it has entered the body. An overabundance of specific substances can adversely affect the functioning of the digestive tract, individual organs and systems.
Why can caffeine be bad for your body?
If we talk about food of natural origin, then it is considered the most dangerous. How so? It's simple: natural products have the ability to negatively affect the activity of the central nervous system, suppressing it or, conversely, overly exciting it.
One such controversial substance is caffeine, a natural psychostimulant found in the following foods:
- any tea;
- all types of coffee;
- cocoa beans (chocolate);
- energy drinks;
- energy bars;
- fizzy drinks of American origin.
A cup of coffee in the morning is an obligatory ritual for most modern people who obey the frantic rhythm of life. Without it, it is difficult to wake up and "turn on", because the tradition quickly develops into a habit, and then into dependence.
In fact, the process of getting used to contact with caffeine can be compared to drug captivity: gradually you want to increase the dose, drinking more than one cup a day, but three or four.
Causes of caffeine intoxication
It is difficult to say how much caffeinated drink you can drink per day. Doctors say that you need to focus on your age, lifestyle and health in general. For example, if a person is absolutely healthy and physically active, then three cups will not harm him. And vice versa: one serving of coffee can worsen the health of an already weakened or unhealthy body.
The ability to give an accurate answer to how much you can drink a day of caffeinated drinks adds to the complexity of the many varieties of coffee, tea and other products. They contain different concentrations of caffeine itself. According to various sources, the daily harmless rate ranges from 100 to 200 mg. This figure is equal to two to three servings, brewed using two tsp. instant or three tsp. real coffee. Moreover, the volume of brewed cups cannot exceed 225 ml at a time.
Please note that we are talking about ideal indicators, while you can use 25 servings of real coffee (15 instant coffee) and not feel any negative reactions from your body. But if these norms are exceeded, then an overdose of caffeine is guaranteed.
Primary symptoms of caffeine overdose
Already 15 minutes after drinking too much caffeine, the following signs of poisoning can be observed:
- Redness of the skin of the face;
- Enhanced hydration of the eyeball;
- An increase in the concentration of glucose and adrenaline in the blood due to excessive blood flow to muscle tissues;
- Fever, alternating with chills and a normal state;
- Internal tension, which translates into trembling of the limbs, calves and general weakness;
- Increased heartbeat;
- Veil before the eyes;
In later stages, an overdose manifests itself in the form of:
- increased sweating;
- increased urination;
- colic and intestinal spasms.
Acute caffeine poisoning is noticeable by the following signs:
- Lack of normal night sleep;
- Nervousness and irritability;
- Shortness of breath and choking;
- Cyanosis of the skin;
- Violation of cardiac activity;
- Confusion of consciousness, hallucinations;
- Pain in the head;
- A slight increase in body temperature.
First wellness measures
If an overdose of caffeine is accompanied by primary symptoms, a person can improve his condition by himself through the following measures:
- Prevention of dehydration. For this purpose, a lot of purified water is drunk with a small amount of salt. Drinking one cup of coffee drink, you need to restore water balance by drinking a glass of clean water. This should be taken as a rule;
- To relieve tremors and internal tension, for which it is enough to eat a fresh banana. The potassium contained in it will have a beneficial effect on the activity of the heart and blood vessels;
- Take a walk in the fresh air. The abundance of oxygen and little physical activity neutralize dizziness and relieve redness from the face. Unable to leave the room, it is worth lying down, having opened the window in advance for ventilation.
Emergency and medical measures
If an overdose has caused serious consequences, it makes sense to seek the help of a doctor. Before his arrival, you need to try to provoke vomiting in order to stop the process of absorption and assimilation of caffeine. It also doesn't hurt to take a few activated charcoal tablets.
Urgent detoxification is performed by:
- introduction into the stomach of magnesium sulfate in an amount of 30 g;
- intramuscular injection of diprazine or morphine hydrochloride;
- intramuscular injection of any antipsychotic that relieves excessive overexcitation;
- intravenous administration of drugs that constrict blood vessels and normalize cardiac activity;
- taking vitamins like niacin, glucose, etc.
Coffee contains many chemical components that affect the human body in different ways. Because of this, it is difficult to devise the perfect antidote that instantly makes you feel better in case of overdose. Having removed the primary negative symptoms, the victim is recommended to lead a healthy lifestyle for at least a couple of weeks. At this time, it makes sense to give up nicotine and caffeine-containing products, drink a lot of fluids, and walk more in the fresh air.
Sports and coffee
Caffeinated products are a real lifesaver for professional athletes. They make it easier to carry heavy loads and work more productively.
But all this is real and safe only if used correctly:
- Do not overuse energy drinks, as a huge amount of sugar is added to it;
- Caffeine should be taken in capsules or unsweetened drinks.
- The daily intake of strongly brewed drink cannot exceed two standard volume cups;
- The required dose of "doping" is taken at least one hour before strength training;
- Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
What happens to the pressure?
Conflicting opinions are constantly circulating among people as to whether caffeine or a drink containing it raises or lowers blood pressure. Some are sure that such a product will only worsen the condition with hypertension, while others, on the contrary, only with its help can return the usual blood pressure indicators.
Who is right? In fact, both those and others speak the truth, but for each it has its own. The fact is that caffeine affects the body in different ways, and the final effect depends on the immunity, quantity, quality and frequency of ingestion of caffeinated products.
For example, if a person has a habit of starting his day with an invigorating drink, then its absence causes a feeling of depression, fatigue and total laziness. And all due to the fact that his body had already developed a "Pavlov reflex", and the pressure dropped in "anticipation" of the usual dose.
If caffeine enters the body with white or green tea, then the pressure will always drop.
Is caffeine a drug?
This substance unambiguously provokes addiction, but when exactly it will become apparent, and what doses will be required to quench it is unknown. Everything is based on a person's life habits, health and even gender. It is reliably known that women tend to react more sharply to a shortage or excess of the described product. Men, on the other hand, become more susceptible to such in the presence of pathologies of the heart and blood vessels.
Summing up the above, I would like to cite interesting facts: Honore de Balzac consumed more than 50 cups of coffee a day, and Robbie Williams still drinks up to 36 servings a day!