Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
An increase in temperature during food poisoning is a completely natural reaction of the body to intoxication. Nevertheless, it is very unpleasant and significantly adds discomfort to the victim.
The temperature may slightly rise in case of poisoning from the very onset of the disease, and after a few hours, when the amount of toxins in the body increases, it will completely develop into a fever with chills. As a rule, this situation in itself does not pose a serious danger, but requires adequate treatment.
So, why does the temperature rise in a child or an adult in case of intoxication of the body?
Causes of temperature in food poisoning
Food poisoning is widespread because several groups of pathogens can cause it.
- microbes (bacteria or viruses;
- poisons of plant or animal nature;
- toxic substances from household chemicals or cosmetics.
These factors are primarily responsible for upsetting the digestive system, which is understandable since they enter the body through the digestive system.
The balance of beneficial and harmful microorganisms in the intestines changes and the immune system reacts to this by raising the temperature to 38-39 degrees.
A febrile temperature occurs to neutralize the harmful effects of these microorganisms or substances. The fact is that many representatives of pathogenic microflora do not tolerate high temperatures and die. In addition, this symptom accelerates all processes in the body: the blood begins to circulate faster, the vessels expand, which leads to the breakdown of toxins. After that, the processes of thermoregulation are started and with sweat a significant part of the toxic substances is excreted from the body.
It follows from this that high fever is a very useful phenomenon, which indicates that the immune system is fighting infection. Nevertheless, you should not let the situation drift so that complications do not arise.
How to bring down the temperature in case of poisoning
Food poisoning is a complex pathological phenomenon that has a number of prerequisites and several key symptoms. If one of them is a high body temperature in a child or adult, then it cannot be treated separately from the underlying disease. Often in such a situation, the help of a doctor is required, since the patient begins to dehydrate.
This is a serious condition that leads to disruption of the cardiovascular and nervous systems, therefore, it is unsafe to deal with it on your own. If the condition of the victim allows you to stay at home and deal with self-relief from the disease, then you need to take into account several of its nuances so as not to aggravate your situation.
High temperature in case of poisoning often lasts for a long time, it is not always possible to bring it down with the help of the usual antipyretic drugs, since they have a bad effect on the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines, and also abruptly interrupt the work of immunity to destroy pathogenic microflora. In this case, it is better to resort to medical procedures. They are simple and accessible to every victim.
- The first thing that many people remember when suffering from a fever is cold compresses that are placed on the forehead. This method was practiced by our mothers and grandmothers and today it is also popular. This technique may not be very pleasant, since the patient often suffers from chills, so first you need to warm up under a warm blanket and a light massage, and then lay a cloth soaked in water at room temperature on your forehead;
- Alcohol-based compresses also show good results for fever. To prepare one of them, you will need to mix equal proportions of vinegar, vodka and water. The patient is rubbed with this mixture, and then thoroughly dressed and wrapped in a blanket. After 20-30 minutes, you need to change clothes, as this method provokes heavy sweating. Such a procedure helps not only to quickly bring down the fever, but also to remove toxins from the body.
Despite the specifics of fever with food poisoning, it will not be possible to do without medication. The peculiarity lies in the fact that the patient needs medications that affect the problem as a whole, and not a specific symptom.
- In order to accelerate the cleansing of the body from poisons, absorbent drugs are used: Eubikor, EnterosGel, Polysorb and the like. They are safe, so they can be used in large dosages 5-6 times a day;
- In addition to this group of drugs, agents are needed to prevent dehydration: Rehydrare, Hydrovit, Rehydron. As a rule, they are presented in pharmacies in the form of powders that are diluted in water. Within an hour, the patient needs to drink 1 liter of such a solution. This can help avoid fluid loss, even with severe vomiting and frequent bowel movements;
- If an elevated body temperature and fever very much spoil the patient's life, and there is no time, desire or opportunity to resort to lotions or compresses, it is permissible to use medications. There is a medicine that quickly relieves the patient's condition without harming the mucous membranes. We are talking about all the familiar No-Shpe. This drug is commonly used as a pain reliever. However, in addition to this action, No-Shpa relieves vasospasm, improves blood circulation and is able to relieve the patient from chills and other unpleasant sensations.
Folk remedies for fever in case of poisoning:
- In cases with an increase in temperature during poisoning, traditional medicine recommends drinking plenty of fluids. Most often, warm tea with sugar is used, but if possible, it is better to replace it with herbal decoctions, juices or fruit drinks. The best antipyretic drugs are drinks based on cranberries and lingonberries. They can be used to prepare compote, jam to add to tea, squeeze juices or brew in a teapot along with regular tea;
- In addition, herbal decoctions will serve well. John's wort, chamomile, and peppermint work best. They have antibacterial properties that relieve nausea and fever. These treatments are not only helpful in managing the symptoms of the disease, but they are also enjoyable.
Prevention of temperature in case of poisoning
Fever in case of poisoning is not such a terrible symptom if you do not start it and observe the general condition of the patient. However, in most cases you want to avoid it. To do this, it is necessary to stop the intoxication of the body at the initial stage.
At the very beginning of the disease, when the first signs of poisoning have just appeared, it is necessary to rinse the stomach with plenty of clean water. Induce vomiting after every 2-3 glasses of liquid. Such manipulations should be repeated until clear water begins to leave the stomach.
After such procedures, a large amount of absorbents will be required. You can take from half to a whole blister of activated carbon, and after 2-3 hours, repeat the reception. Such measures will allow you to quickly remove the maximum amount of poisons and microbes from the gastrointestinal tract and prevent the development of pathology.
However, the best preventive measure is the prevention of poisoning in general. To do this, you need to be attentive to the products used: pay attention to their composition, shelf life, appearance and smell. If you have doubts about the freshness or the technology of cooking, do not eat it.
In addition, the cleanliness of hands and food plays an important role. If it is impossible to wash your hands with soap (for example, on a road trip or on a hike), sanitizers can be used, and bottled water is suitable for vegetables and fruits.
Such measures will help to avoid not only an increase in temperature as a separate symptom, but the entire disease and its consequences.