Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Nausea and diarrhea during pregnancy are common. The rush of waste material exiting the body (diarrhea) is a natural way to eliminate toxins. But with an acute attack caused by bacteria, viruses, or intestinal parasites, there is a chance of dehydration, which can affect the course of pregnancy, both early and late.
Why does diarrhea appear?
The reasons why diarrhea appears during pregnancy are different. Expectant mothers have weakened immunity, so they are more susceptible to various diseases.
Considering the causes of diarrhea, you need to pay attention to the period of pregnancy:
- Frequent diarrhea and nausea in the first months of gestation are signs of toxicosis. There is a violation of digestion, which is associated with some features of the female body during pregnancy. The expectant mother changes taste preferences, she refuses the usual products and replaces them with others. The causes of diarrhea in the early stages are rooted in poor nutrition. If diarrhea and nausea during pregnancy of 16 weeks do not bring discomfort, treatment can not be started - it is enough to remove some foods from the diet.
- In the second trimester of pregnancy, the doctor prescribes drugs to strengthen the baby's skeletal system, vitamin complexes, and various supplements. If diarrhea begins after taking any medication, you must stop taking the drug and consult a specialist.
- Often women have a question: "Why does diarrhea appear during late pregnancy?" The reasons for this phenomenon are that due to excessive enlargement of the tummy, the load on the stomach increases. In this case, it is recommended to follow the stool: if it changes color, and there are pieces of food in it, then there are problems with the digestive organs.
In addition, diarrhea in the early or late stages can be caused by hormonal imbalance. Diarrhea and nausea in later stages are caused by overproduction of prostaglandins as the body prepares for labor. After all, before the birth process begins, the intestines must be emptied. If diarrhea or nausea appears in the later stages, these are signs of imminent marriage.
Accompanying signs and symptoms
In principle, diarrhea in later stages is not dangerous if it lasts no more than one day. But if the urge to use the toilet continues, you need to look for signs of dehydration. If they appear, you need to take urgent measures:
- weakness, constant desire to sleep, confusion;
- dry mouth, sore throat;
- the appearance of peeling on the skin;
- rare urination, urine darkens.
If a woman feels severe pain in the stomach, ovaries, then there is a chance of miscarriage. Diarrhea is dangerous during late pregnancy, especially in the eighth month. Treatment must be started on time, otherwise there is a risk of fetal death.
If symptoms of diarrhea occur, a woman should see several doctors. First of all, she goes to the gynecologist, who checks the condition of the fetus. An examination by a gastroenterologist is also recommended.
- If diarrhea appears during late pregnancy, the first thing to do is to take a few tablets of activated charcoal. It absorbs toxic and toxic substances in the intestines. Charcoal is completely safe for women and children.
- Refill your intestines with lactobacilli, which are available in capsules, liquid or powder form. These bacteria counteract the E. coli bacteria that cause diarrhea, salmonella, streptococci and shigellosis (bacterial dysentery). The rest of the medications must be prescribed by a doctor, because not all pills are suitable for pregnant women.
How to treat diarrhea with folk remedies?
Diarrhea during late pregnancy can be treated with alternative methods. However, before using the product, you must consult your doctor who will tell you if it is safe. Consider the most common and safe methods of traditional medicine, treatment with which will quickly give results:
- Since diarrhea can cause dehydration, drink water or suck on ice cubes constantly and slowly. Make sure you are not thirsty or dry out your lips.
- A decoction of brown rice will help to eliminate frequent diarrhea during late pregnancy. To prepare it, boil 3 cups of water and add half a cup of brown rice to it. Simmer the mixture for 45 minutes, then strain. Drink the broth, and eat the rice a little later.
- Dehydration can be prevented using this recipe: dissolve 1 tbsp in 1 liter of water. salt, 4 tablespoons sugar and add half a cup of apple cider vinegar. Drink a little during the day.
- In the later stages, an enema with warm water helps to cleanse the lower part of the colon. It will bring instant relief because it frees the body of the toxic substances that caused diarrhea. If necessary, the enema can be repeated frequently throughout the day. If you suspect food poisoning, try an enema with strong coffee with a high caffeine content, but be careful in the later stages as it has a strong effect.
- You can relieve pain caused by diarrhea by applying a hot, wet compress or alternating hot and cold compresses to the stomach area twice a day. You can add a little apple cider vinegar to each compress to speed up the healing process.
- When diarrhea is eliminated in late pregnancy, it is necessary to replace the enzymes washed out from the body with fresh papaya or juice from it, fresh pineapple or pineapple juice.
To stop diarrhea and temporarily eliminate unpleasant symptoms, in the later stages, it is also recommended to take a sitz cold bath for a few seconds to one minute. You can add half a cup of apple cider vinegar to the water. The amount of water should be such that the buttocks are completely in the water. Cover your stomach, chest and shoulders with towels to protect you from hypothermia. The water temperature should be comfortable, slightly colder than you are used to constantly swimming. After water procedures, rub the body with a hard towel.
In general, you need to be very careful in late pregnancy. Do not allow any toxic substances to enter the body. Food or chemical poisoning is fraught with miscarriage or premature birth. It is necessary to constantly monitor the quality of the food consumed, to observe the rules of personal hygiene.
For prevention, it is recommended to take garlic capsules, as they destroy harmful microbes, especially gram-negative bacteria. The pectin found in apples is very useful. Peel and scrub the apple to release the pectin. A few grains of cayenne pepper added to tea or water can help prevent nausea.