Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
The diagnosis of varicose veins of the esophagus often sounds only after the onset of bleeding, which appears suddenly, even for the patient himself. Most often, such problems arise in the form of complications of other diseases.
Such deformation of blood vessels is more common in men over 50 years of age. Women face this problem much less often. The disease is characterized by an unnatural expansion of all vessels, as a result of which their walls are deformed, lengthened and lead to the formation of nodes.
Often, the disease initially does not show any symptoms, but increased fragility leads to rupture of the vascular walls and subsequent bleeding.
It is possible to determine such a problem only with the help of an X-ray examination, which will show scalloped serrated contours of the esophagus, coarse folds of the mucous membrane, filling defects, areas of reduced density.
One of the most dangerous problems for the digestive system in this situation is bleeding from varicose veins of the esophagus. It happens due to stagnation of blood in the vessels of the portal vein system.
Esophageal bleeding symptoms
The first disturbing sensation that may indicate the onset of such a problem is the appearance of belching and heartburn. The signs of the onset of the disease are the expansion and lengthening of blood vessels, varicose nodes appear on them, and the walls become thinner.
Despite the fact that the disease may not manifest itself for a long time, you need to focus on the following possible signs of bleeding from varicose veins, namely: an increase in the size of the abdomen and the appearance of vessels around the navel. Additional signs are chest tightness, a feeling of weakness, shortness of breath, and a rapid heart rate.
Most often, the obvious symptoms of the disease are the following manifestations:
- The appearance of blood streaks in the masses that come out of the stomach;
- Occasional vomiting, during which discharge looks like coffee grounds. This is due to the destruction of hemoglobin, which happens when blood from the esophagus enters the stomach;
- The stool is dark in color - due to the blood that passes through the stomach, it turns dark brown;
- Development of anemia. A decrease in the level of hemoglobin in the blood is reflected by pallor of the skin, severe weakness and tinnitus. With anemia, bleeding occurs in the esophagus, which is often repeated.
The appearance of the first symptoms requires an immediate visit to the doctor, only he can prescribe the correct treatment.
Varicose vein bleeding: causes
Varicose veins are classified as a pathological process, during which there is a deformation of blood vessels. Such problems appear when the pressure level rises. Since often at the beginning of the disease, the problem does not manifest itself in any way, many turn to the doctor with complaints even with an advanced form of pathology.
In order to pass the examination on time, it is important to know what reasons lead to the formation of esophageal varices:
- Severe overeating. A lot of food increases blood flow to all organs of the digestive system, increasing their functional activity, which leads to a sharp jump in pressure;
- Long stay in the supine position. If there is a suspicion of varicose veins in the esophagus, it is recommended to sleep at night in a position where the upper body is elevated;
- Physical exercise. Muscle tension leads to a strong increase in the general pressure in the vessels;
- Eating solid or too hot food injures the mucous membrane;
- Portal pressure is caused by chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis, tuberculosis, or tumor. It can also be due to a cyst, tumor, or adhesion;
- Heart problems, namely an increase in pressure in the systemic circulation;
- Portal hypertension and liver disease.
Knowing the symptoms and signs of the disease, you can start looking for remedies to get rid of this problem.
Treatment of varicose veins of the esophagus with medications
Taking propranolol cuts the chance of an initial episode in half. At the beginning of treatment, it is important to concentrate all efforts on eliminating the underlying pathology. Oral tampons, Blackmore obturator probes, and even pneumatic balloons are used as hemostatic agents. Temporarily stop bleeding allows taking Pharmacotherapy octreotidoma or Terlipressinoma. However, conservative treatment in some cases is not effective enough in the fight against bleeding.
Varicose vein bleeding: folk recipes
Treatment of varicose veins is aimed at activating the liver and accelerating the excretion of bile.
Consider which herbal preparations will help to significantly improve the condition of the mucous membrane:
- In 250 ml of boiling water add 20 g of Japanese Sophora. Insist 60 minutes, and then drink several times during the day. On average, the duration of treatment is 2 months;
- Take 20 g of rosehip and red-fruited mountain ash and pour them 450 ml of water. Put on fire and bring to a boil. Cool and drink a day, a single dose of no more than 100 ml.
Esophageal varices: medical treatment
Bleeding from esophageal varices often leads to shock or even death. In this case, urgent qualified help is needed, the purpose of which will be to completely stop bleeding. Procedures should relieve pressure.
Today, the following methods of treating varicose veins in the esophagus are known:
- Sclerotherapy. It is used to improve blood clotting by introducing a special solution into the affected veins. After that, it is recommended to use a bandage;
- Intrahepatic shunting. The procedure is carried out with a stent, it is inserted into the middle of the liver and connected by its portal vein. Bypass surgery is performed using an X-ray machine;
- Splenorenal bypass grafting. The operation connects the spleen and the vessel of the left kidney. This lowers the pressure in the veins, which helps to avoid bleeding.
With these procedures, bleeding stops in 90% of cases.
Prevention of varicose veins of the esophagus
With varicose veins, it is important to consume a sufficient amount of clean water. Proper nutrition is considered an important preventive measure, it will help get rid of excess fluid, strengthen the walls of blood vessels and make them elastic. You need to eat in small portions, products should be boiled or steamed.
Doctors recommend adding foods to your diet that contain the following substances: vitamins C and E, rutin, fiber and other substances that stimulate the synthesis of elastin.
Lifting weights should be avoided, it is better to roll any thing, having problems with the esophagus.
As can be seen from all of the above, varicose veins in the esophagus are a serious disease. It is extremely important to diagnose it on time and follow all the recommendations of the attending physician. Only in this case the spread of the disease will be stopped, and the general well-being will become easier.