Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Varicose veins are a very common disease, which is manifested by an increase in superficial veins. In some, this ailment is accompanied by the appearance of stars and nets on the legs, while in others - edema and red spots. In this way, the body signaled that varicose veins gave their complications.
With frequent exertion, the walls of the vessels burst, and the blood enters the skin, forming swelling and red spots on the legs. They do not cause much inconvenience, but they are very unpleasant from an aesthetic point of view. To figure out what to do with this problem, let's first figure out what reasons could cause it.
Swelling and red spots on the legs: the main causes
Sometimes, even in completely healthy people, the feet swell.
Doctors identify the following reasons for this symptom:
- drinking a lot of water;
- work in a sitting or standing position;
- varicose veins;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- some medications prescribed for hypertensive patients;
- kidney disease;
- diseases of the lymphatic vessels.
These reasons can also cause swelling of the leg below the knee. Only a doctor can determine what could have provoked the puffiness.
Very often with varicose veins, you can see that red spots have appeared on the legs. At the initial stage of the disease, this symptom does not cause discomfort. However, over time, the disease progresses and the red spots begin to itch.
There are the following reasons for their appearance:
- heavy physical activity;
- heart disease;
- infectious diseases;
- leg injuries.
These reasons lead to the fact that the walls of the vessels become thin and burst under the pressure exerted by a person. Therefore, red spots are very often observed in overweight people. Pregnancy is often the cause of red spots on the legs. During this period, the load on the body increases, as a result of which the walls of the vessels become much thinner.
Thrombophlebitis can be the cause of red spots on the legs. In advanced cases, trophic ulcers occur, which are very difficult to cure. Red spots and swelling can indicate serious problems in the body, so if these symptoms appear, you should immediately contact a phlebologist.
Venolife: get rid of swelling and red spots on the legs
If the cause of red spots on the legs is varicose veins, the doctor will definitely recommend the use of medicines belonging to the group of venotonics. Thanks to such drugs, it is possible to increase the elasticity of the vascular walls and improve blood circulation.
To date, Venolife gel has proven itself well, the main purpose of which is to level and balance venous blood flow. In other words, this drug is intended to fight vascular disease.
The composition of the Venolife gel includes the following active ingredients:
Heparin prevents blood clots and has a beneficial effect on blood flow. Dexpanthenol normalizes metabolic processes and promotes cell regeneration. Troxerutin relieves swelling and has an anti-inflammatory effect.
Venolife gel is used for the following diseases:
- education and prevention of thrombophlebitis;
- edematous syndrome, which is accompanied by severe pain;
- varicose veins;
- trophic ulcer and its prevention.
The drug is applied in a thin layer to the diseased areas of the lower extremities two to three times a day. The treatment lasts three weeks. The use of Venolife gel should be discarded in case of hypersensitivity to its components.
Lyoton gel will relieve swelling on the legs
With edema of the legs, vascular surgeons recommend using Lioton gel.
This drug is prescribed for the treatment of varicose veins and thrombophlebitis. The gel contains heparin, which prevents the formation of blood clots. The drug is applied in a thin layer to the damaged area, with the exception of mechanical damage to the skin and trophic ulcers. At the initial stage of varicose veins, treatment lasts from one to three weeks.
Gel Lioton cannot be used in case of an allergic reaction to its components.
To exclude individual intolerance, apply a small amount of gel to the skin and after half an hour make sure there is no redness, swelling or itching.
Therapeutic exercises against edema and red spots on the legs
You can get rid of puffiness and red spots with simple exercises. Therapeutic gymnastics is an effective method for preventing venous stasis. In this case, the choice of physical activity should be carried out on an individual basis.
Remember a few simple exercises:
- rise on your toes and lower on your heels, then press your heels to the floor and lift your toes (repeat the exercise twenty to thirty times);
- put a tennis ball or other small object on the floor and try to grab it with your toes (do this alternately with your right and left feet, and then use both limbs);
- strain and relax the fingers of the lower extremities for two minutes;
- walk on your socks for two or three minutes;
- in a sitting position, stretch your legs and rotate your feet in one direction, and then in the other (you need to do this exercise for two minutes).
Fighting puffiness is not always easy, but you should not ignore this problem. Overcome laziness and do therapeutic exercises!
Folk remedies for red spots and swelling below the knee
In addition to traditional treatment, folk remedies are used.
To prepare them, use the following recipes:
- drink a glass of water before breakfast and dinner, adding two teaspoons of three percent apple cider vinegar (you can also lubricate problem areas on the legs with this remedy);
- wrap your legs with a linen cloth dipped in celandine broth, and keep them that way for forty minutes;
- apply a linen cloth smeared with honey to the affected area and wrap it around the leg;
- chop the leaves of curdled milk and wormwood in equal amounts, apply the resulting mixture to a linen cloth and wrap the leg below the knee with it.
It should be noted that the above folk remedies are effective only in the first stage of the disease.
Prevention of the appearance of redness and swelling of the legs
To avoid redness and swelling on the legs in the future, remember a few rules:
- normalize your weight and do not allow a sharp increase in fat mass;
- take relaxing baths and contrast showers;
- wear compression hosiery;
- give up drinking alcohol;
- follow a diet and eat only healthy foods;
- take medications prescribed by your doctor on time;
- wear comfortable shoes;
- perform lymphatic drainage massage of the legs;
- try to sit straight without crossing your legs;
- do physical therapy.
To prevent the disease from recurring in the future, these recommendations should become your way of life. It is important to prevent varicose veins and prevent other serious leg diseases. If the red spots have not disappeared after conservative treatment, surgery may be required.
Before choosing a treatment strategy, you need to determine how critical the problem is. To do this, at the first sign of varicose veins, contact a vascular surgeon.