Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Who does not know what edema is. At least once in our life we all come across it. Essentially, it is the accumulation of fluid in the body. It can occur both on the limbs and face, and on internal organs.
After childbirth, swelling is a fairly frequent phenomenon and is not always the result of some kind of disease. This can be due to fluid overflow in the cells of the lower extremities, which can cause slight swelling. And after a while, when the blood comes back to normal in density, this phenomenon disappears by itself.
But if the swelling grows and soreness is added to it, this already indicates a malfunction in the body.
Why does leg edema occur after a cesarean section?
Today, medicine is making a lot of efforts to minimize the complications that appear after a cesarean section. But unfortunately, after this operation, as, indeed, after the usual childbirth, swelling of the legs often occurs. You should go through it yourself, but if this does not happen or the swelling is very strong, you should immediately consult a specialist.
Causes of swollen feet
Caesarean section is a full-fledged surgical intervention in the body with the occurrence of all kinds of postoperative complications.
One of these complications is puffiness and the reasons why it occurs are quite varied:
- thrombosis. A disease in which blood clots form in the legs, blocking blood vessels, disrupting normal blood circulation;
- varicose veins;
- endocrine system diseases;
- protein deficiency;
- kidney or heart disease in a pregnant woman;
- poorly performed vaginal examination;
- from the first day of pregnancy, blood thickens, thus the body tries to minimize blood loss during childbirth. If there are problems with blood clotting, atherosclerotic vascular lesions or blood density is very high, then invariably the fluid will retain in the legs and cause swelling, which may increase after the operation.
How to get rid of swollen legs after cesarean section
The most correct decision is, of course, to seek help from a specialist who, after the examination, will be able to prescribe the necessary treatment. It can be both medication and with the help of folk remedies.
Due to the fact that not all medications can be used during breastfeeding, it is possible to prescribe simple exercises.
- It is recommended to raise the lower limbs above the level of the head several times a day. To do this, in a prone position, a roller is placed under the legs and are in this position for a quarter of an hour. In this position, blood outflow occurs and the swelling may decrease.
- If you feel free, it is good to walk on the floor on your toes. This exercise is performed several times a day for 2-3 minutes.
- In the prone position, make several rotational movements with the feet, bring them together and spread them apart. Move your fingers.
- After 10 days after the operation, you can do the exercise bike.
It may be equally important to wear special underwear after the operation. It is worth buying compression tights or stockings, they increase vascular tone and help get rid of puffiness faster. Instead of such underwear, you can wrap the lower limbs with an elastic bandage.
If the swelling has not disappeared two weeks after the operation, the doctor may prescribe medications. Among them, there may be drugs to get rid of the disease that provoked the swelling.
And besides, they appoint:
- diuretics. These drugs include Trifas. It practically does not contribute to the leaching of calcium and potassium from the body and is much more effective than furosemide. Kanephron is no less effective. The drug containing herbal components in the composition can be prescribed during pregnancy and children from birth;
- heparin-based ointments. These include esaven and lyoton;
- anticoagulants. Warfarin is an excellent anti-clotting agent;
- venotonics. The funds are very effective, but unfortunately, when they are taken, you will have to give up breastfeeding. These include: Detralex, Antistax, Phlebodia;
- anti-inflammatory drugs. These can be tablets, ointments, gels, and injections. This group includes movalis, voltaren, diclofenac;
- physiotherapy procedures such as laser therapy, phonophoresis, electrophoresis, body wraps.
Traditional medicine also did not stand aside.
She offers a fairly extensive range of recipes for swollen legs after a cesarean section:
- baths. It is very useful to do contrast baths for the lower extremities. To do this, you will need two containers with cold and hot water. Alternately lower the lower limbs into one container, then into another. Apply in the evenings;
- in a liter of warm water, dilute 4 large tablespoons of salt, 2 small tablespoons of baking soda and 1 large mustard powder. Dip the limbs into the water and keep until it cools completely;
- figs. It is boiled and taken in a spoonful of decoction several times a day;
- boil a spoonful of bupyr roots in 200 ml of boiling water. Steam for half an hour and leave for twenty minutes. Then strain and add boiled water to the original volume. Take three times half an hour before meals, a large spoonful;
- mix a spoonful of calamus and plantain, calendula and arnica. Add 50 g of chestnut flowers to the mixture. Boil 5 glasses of water in a container and add 5 tablespoons of the mixture. Boil for a few minutes. In the broth, moisten the fabric and apply to the swellings twice a day for half an hour;
- take in equal parts knotweed and birch leaves. Pour 200 ml of water into the container and add a spoonful of the mixture. Boil for a quarter of an hour and leave for half an hour. Strain and drink 100 ml each morning and evening;
- crank through a meat grinder 1 kg of raw pumpkin and 3 sour apples. Pour in 20 g of raisins and mix. Apply spoonfully before each meal. Store the product in the refrigerator;
- chop a pound of quince and boil in a liter of water for 20 minutes. Strain and drink the broth in half a glass in the morning at lunchtime and in the evening before eating;
- boil 4 tablespoons of flaxseed in a liter of water for about 5 minutes. Insist for 3 hours, strain and add honey and lemon juice. Drink 100 ml every 2 hours.
In order to get rid of swollen legs after a cesarean, do not neglect a diet. It is necessary to eat foods that thin the blood. These include: tomatoes, viburnum, sea buckthorn, lemon, grapes, grapefruit. You need to drink the required amount of water, herbal teas, fruit drinks and infusions. From juices to give preference to grape.
Exclude from the menu: tea, coffee, cocoa, carbonated water. In addition, it is not recommended to eat smoked foods, fried and fatty foods.
And, of course, the best treatment is prevention.
Prevention of puffiness
- If you have a planned cesarean section, you should purchase compression underwear in advance and start using it at least a week before the operation.
- Drink the correct amount of fluids.
- Try to minimize the consumption of foods that can cause thirst: ice cream, halva, cakes and pastries, cheese, sweet and soda water.
- Reduce the amount of salt you eat.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits, including baked and boiled vegetables.
In most cases, the swelling after cesarean treatment disappears without the use of medication. But if after two or three weeks this does not happen, you cannot postpone a visit to a specialist.
Self-medication in such a situation is simply unacceptable, it can be fraught with serious consequences. Do not forget that you are now responsible not only for your health, but also for the health of your baby.