Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Thrombophlebitis is a disease of the lower extremities in which there is a blockage of blood vessels and the occurrence of inflammation. When choosing an effective method of treatment, the stage and form of the disease are taken into account.
A special place in conservative treatment is occupied by various ointments, which are presented in a fairly wide range in the pharmacy.
What ointments will help with deep vein thrombophlebitis?
Means intended for external use give results only at the initial stages of the development of the disease. They are used separately and included in complex treatment for exacerbation of thrombophlebitis. Ointments can be purchased in different forms, but a gel is considered the best option because it is quickly absorbed into the skin, unlike, for example, a cream.
Venotonic drugs help relieve pain, swelling, a feeling of heaviness, and they also improve venous outflow, help strengthen the walls of blood vessels and reduce the risk of blood clots.
Depending on the active substance, the following drugs are isolated from deep vein thrombophlebitis:
- venotonics. The main active ingredient is troxevasin, horse chestnut or sweet clover. These components have a resorbing effect;
- heparin drugs. This group is most effective in the treatment of thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities. Such gels dissolve blood clots and reduce the risk of new blood congestion in the veins. Heparin drugs are often recommended by doctors as a prophylaxis. Since they have no contraindications and side effects, they are allowed to be used by pregnant and breastfeeding women;
- non-steroidal drugs. The composition includes anti-inflammatory substances, and such gels relieve swelling and inflammation, providing an analgesic effect.
In individual cases, the doctor recommends hormonal ointment for thrombophlebitis on the legs. This category includes Flucinar and Sinaflan. They are fast and powerful. It is important to take into account that such drugs have many contraindications and side effects, so only a doctor can prescribe them.
Popular ointments for thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities
Among the assortment presented there are really effective tools, which we will talk about below. It is worth choosing the right drug only with a doctor.
Heparin ointment. The main active ingredient is heparin. Such a drug allows you to eliminate inflammation, and it also has an antithrombotic effect. After application, the gel promotes resorption of blood clots, while reducing the risk of new congestion. The composition must be applied to problem areas with a thin layer, and then rub in with light circular movements for a minute.
Do not put too much effort, because it can harm even deep veins. Usually, the course of treatment is about a week, but the first positive changes are noticeable after 3-4 days. If necessary, the doctor extends the use of the product.
A contraindication for thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities is primarily an individual intolerance to the components of the drug. Do not use it if there is damage to the skin, such as wounds or ulcers. If the disease is purulent, then the use of Heparin ointment is prohibited. As for side effects, there is a risk of skin flushing, as well as allergies.
Troxevasin. In the case of using this drug for the treatment of deep vein thrombophlebitis in the legs, a venotonic and anti-edema effect occurs. Useful substances penetrate both the vessels of the extremities and the capillaries. The main active ingredient, troxerutin, was developed specifically to treat diseases associated with the venous system.
Troxevasin is used not only for treatment and prevention, but also after surgery to remove blood clots from the veins. The gel should be applied to problem areas in the morning and before bedtime. If there are wounds and ulcers on the skin, then Troxevasin is applied around the affected area.
If this remedy was chosen for the treatment of deep vein diseases, then it is necessary to take into account the existing contraindications. Be sure to check for possible individual intolerance to the components of the gel. Troxevasin is prohibited in the treatment of deep vein problems, if there is renal failure, as well as stomach and duodenal ulcers. If we talk about side effects, they are extremely rare and they are expressed by the appearance of a rash and irritation.
Diclofenacol. This cream stands out for having a good analgesic effect. It helps to cope with inflammation. Diclofenacol is applied in small amounts over the affected area, and then rubbed in for a couple of minutes with light circular motions.
If the lower extremities are affected by inflamed veins, then repeating the procedure is 2-3 times a day. The course of treatment is 2 weeks.
When using Diclofenacol, consider the existing contraindications. Some people have individual intolerance to the components of the cream, which will manifest itself in the form of allergic reactions. The remedy is prohibited during pregnancy in the last trimester, as well as during lactation. It is impossible to use Diclofenacol for problems with veins if a person has bronchial asthma, stomach and intestinal ulcers.
Do not apply the cream if there are wounds and a tongue on the skin surface. There are age restrictions, so this drug is prohibited for children under 6 years old. Also, one should not forget about the side effects, which appear in the form of rashes, irritations and swelling.
Liniment Vishnevsky. This ointment has been very popular for many years. It has an antiseptic and thinning effect, as well as cleanses wounds and accelerates the regeneration of damaged tissues. The main components are birch tar, xeroform powder and castor oil. This remedy improves blood flow to tissues, removes infection, and it even acts on deep vessels. They use it even in the presence of pus, but consultation with a doctor is important here.
Vishnevsky's ointment has contraindications, which include individual intolerance to the components, acute purulent diseases, as well as fatty tumors and paraproctitis. She also has side effects: rashes, allergic reactions and swelling. They occur mainly with prolonged use of the product. Liniment is used separately, as well as mixed with other folk remedies, which makes it possible to obtain an effective medicine.
Let's consider several options
- First, let's figure out how to use this drug separately. This is usually done in the form of compresses. A wide bandage or gauze is taken and folded in several layers (at least 4). The size of the adjustment is selected based on the location of the lesion. A little means is applied to the gauze. Attach everything to your leg, and put a plastic bag on top and secure with a bandage. To get the result, it is necessary to keep the compress for 6 hours. To do this procedure is 3-4 days in a row.
- To prepare the medicine, mix a tube of Vishnevsky ointment, 1 tbsp each. spoonful of melted lard and grated laundry soap, and also juice from 2 onions. Mix everything and heat in a bath, stirring until a homogeneous mass is obtained. When the mixture cools down, it must be applied to problem areas, bandaging tightly. Duration of treatment is 2 weeks;
- The following remedy is prepared from such ingredients: mix Vishnevsky ointment and ichthyol ointment in a tube, and add 1 tbsp each. a spoonful of aloe juice, ghee, onion juice and laundry soap. Combine the ingredients in an enamel bowl and place it on the stove. Stir until smooth. Apply the medicine to problem areas, covering with a bandage. Keep it for 24 hours, and then take the same break and repeat until the medicine runs out.
We have presented you with a list of the most effective and popular ointments that help in the treatment of diseases associated with the lower extremities.
Remember that each remedy has a number of contraindications and side effects, so only a doctor should select the appropriate option. Only in this case, you can count on a positive result of the treatment of venous thrombophlebitis.