Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
It falls to the mother's lot to experience after childbirth not only the joy of the birth of the desired child, but also the appearance of such ailments that are provoked by this pleasant, but also difficult moment.
And most often in the postpartum period, the veins suffer, which, under the influence of hormonal changes, physical activity, begin to swell while still wearing the fetus. After the birth of a child, if the woman's vessels have not returned to normal, then the changes in the circulatory system will begin to worsen, which will lead to their progression and various complications.
Varicose veins after childbirth: symptomatic manifestations of vasodilation
Bloating of blood vessels can begin both from the veins lying on the surface and deep in the tissues. And here it is important to catch the first appearance of the symptoms of varicose veins in order to start fighting it in time.
More often, an alarming signal of the onset of a serious illness is cobwebs and asterisks on the legs, a feeling of heaviness, pulling pains in the limbs that appear at the end of the day.
And if the skin acquires a bluish tint, dense formations are felt and swelling of the legs appears, this means that the disease progresses and the condition of the superficial veins worsens.
At the same time, the temperature on the surface of the limbs rises, the skin becomes shiny and dense.
Changes in deep veins are manifested primarily by edema, pain, and only then bulging of small capillaries appears. But in any case, pain in the zones of swollen veins during movement and at rest, the appearance of ulceration on the skin is a signal for seeking medical help from specialists. There are many complications of this disease, the most severe include thrombophlebitis, thrombosis.
Varicose veins: let's talk about the reasons after childbirth
The risk group for the subsequent development of varicose veins in the postpartum period includes women who already have such problems during pregnancy:
- Veins after childbirth do not return to normal in women in labor who have a primary defect in the work of the vascular valve, when there is no outflow of blood and it accumulates in the limbs. Hence the heaviness in the legs, swelling and ulcers on the skin;
- Hormonal changes during preparation for labor suggest an increased release of relaxin into the blood, which negatively affects the walls of blood vessels, thinning, stretching them. Veins begin to break and blood enters the skin;
- Large weight, which is difficult for a woman to lose after giving birth to a baby, and the load on the legs while standing, interfere with blood vessels pumping blood and this causes varicose veins not only in the lower leg, but also in the groin area, intimate areas;
- Hereditary defects in the development of the vascular system, age-related changes also lead to the risk of symptoms of varicose veins after childbirth.
Typically, these women have to give birth by caesarean section, so the birth itself is not a direct cause of varicose veins.
Varicose veins: methods of treatment in women who have given birth
Methods for treating varicose veins are varied, but they are selected taking into account the fact that a woman is feeding a baby and therefore some effective drugs and procedures cannot be used.
Medicines for the treatment of varicose veins
The main means for relieving the symptoms of problem veins are those that make the blood thinner, strengthen the walls of blood vessels, toning and nourishing them, prevent the formation of blood clots, and are allowed for breastfeeding:
- Troxevasin has been used in the treatment of diseases of the vascular system for a long time and has proven itself on the positive side. The troxerutin contained in it protects blood vessels from fragility and damage, restores the walls of veins and capillaries, making them strong and dense. Due to the elimination of puffiness by the drug and the destruction of blood clots, blood flow is completely restored. The product is available in the form of capsules and gel. For the treatment of varicose veins, the capsule is taken once or twice a day with meals, depending on the therapeutic task. Gel Troxevasin is rubbed into problem areas with massaging movements in the morning and evening;
- In the composition of Eskuzana, the main substance is escin, which is obtained from the fruit of the horse chestnut. The medicine belongs to those agents that strengthen blood vessels and improve blood flow at the level of capillaries and small veins. Produced in the form of tablets, pills, Eskuzan solution is used internally. For nursing mothers, it is possible to use the drug only in the form of pills, one three times a day. In the form of an ointment and gel, the drug is also harmless, it is applied to the skin of the legs several times a day. Apply the ointment with care so as not to irritate the skin;
- The drug Glivenol, which is produced in the form of capsules and pills, is well tolerated and has a strong therapeutic effect at the initial stage of varicose veins. It is taken regardless of food intake at 800 milligrams per day. The effect of the treatment is achieved within two weeks.
Varicose veins: traditional medicine in postpartum treatment
Therapy for varicose veins after childbirth should be especially gentle so that medications do not adversely affect the breastfeeding process of the baby.
Especially useful in this case, herbal infusions, baths and compresses based on decoctions of plants.
- Making a decoction of chamomile flowers, dioecious nettle leaves, oregano and lemon balm is not difficult: take a teaspoon of each herb and pour the mixture with a liter of boiling water, insist in a water bath or in a thermos for four hours. Then they dilute it with warm water and make baths;
- Rubbing your feet with a lotion made from one spoonful of apple cider vinegar and ten tablespoons of water will help soothe the veins and increase blood circulation in the affected area;
- It is good to strengthen blood vessels with a decoction of oak bark, using a tablespoon before meals. To do this, a spoonful of raw materials is brewed in a glass of hot water, then slowly heated for half an hour and insisted for about an hour;
- Ten grams of crushed Kalanchoe leaves, infused for a week in a glass of vodka, bring the legs affected by the disease back to normal when they are rubbed daily.
Varicose veins: the effectiveness of treatment procedures in the postpartum period
The main procedures prescribed by a specialist for varicose veins after labor include:
- By mechanically acting on human tissues with the help of air injection, compression therapy enhances blood circulation, relieves fatigue and heaviness, eliminates capillary nets and asterisks on the legs. They wrap problem areas with special cuffs and pump air there, which, like a press, press on the tissues and muscles of a person;
- Laser treatment is based on the effect of a high-energy light flux on the vein area, in which a flagellum forms at the site of the affected vessel. Its resorption helps the blood not to stagnate, normalizing its current;
- Exercises of physiotherapy exercises, repeated daily, will strengthen the legs, lead to the strength of the walls of blood vessels, and improve blood circulation. The selection of a complex for such a charge should subsequently take place taking into account individual characteristics, physical capabilities, the method of childbirth - independently or with the help of a cesarean section - the severity of the disease of the young mother.
Comprehensive treatment of postpartum varicose veins can make a woman happy, fully enjoying motherhood.
Ways to prevent varicose veins after childbirth
If a woman noticed changes in the vessels on her legs after the birth of a baby, then she needs to pay attention to her health.
- Nutrition plays an important role in this: as much natural juices, fruits, vegetables as possible, especially those with a high content of vitamins and minerals. Choose whole-grain and plant-based foods.
- Physical education, walking can make legs beautiful with smooth skin. Shoes - only with low heels. In summer - walking barefoot on the grass, sand.
- Water contrast procedures, rubbing the feet with a piece of ice not only harden the blood vessels, but the entire body.
- During the day, it is necessary to change the position of the body, to give rest to tired muscles.
- During sleep, it is advised to keep your legs in an elevated position.
Following these tips will save your blood vessels and avoid major changes in them.
If there is a predisposition to pathology and the doctor insists on a caesarean section, it is better to agree. An operation such as a cesarean section can help maintain vascular health.