Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Every woman during pregnancy does everything to give birth to a healthy and strong baby. During pregnancy, the time comes when you need to pay special attention to your health, well-being, to maximally protect the body from various harmful influences, from infections, bacteria and parasites.
And today we will talk about the effect of worms on the health of a pregnant woman. The problem that has arisen cannot be ignored in any case.
As the practice of doctors has shown, infection with parasites during pregnancy is not such a rare occurrence. And the main problem in this case: how to get rid of them and at the same time not harm the baby?
After all, the use of antihelminthic drugs is contraindicated during pregnancy. But there is no need to panic. During pregnancy, pinworms cannot enter the baby's body before birth and therefore cannot affect its development.
But a newborn child may well become infected from a mother.
Therefore, in order to avoid such problems, women should pay special attention to personal hygiene, take all precautions and stop breastfeeding the newborn while taking antihelminthic drugs.
Causes of pinworm infection
Worms are an intestinal disease, a disease of dirty hands. Worm eggs are everywhere. The main cause of infection is non-compliance with personal hygiene rules. For infection, it is enough just not to wash your hands once before eating.
Sources of infection are:
- Money - bank notes are in the hands of both healthy and sick people;
- Air - by inhalation of dust with eggs of worms;
- Fruits, berries and vegetables - manure is often a fertilizer for growing them and, as a result, the larvae of worms can cling to fruits, berries and vegetables;
- Sand in playgrounds is a place for walking dogs. Animal feces contain a huge amount of parasite eggs;
- Pets - improper maintenance and improper care of them leads to the fact that a huge number of worm eggs appear on the skin, wool and feces;
- Freshwater bodies - while swimming through the mucous membranes of a person, the skin of the larva can penetrate the body;
- Meat, fish - can be a source of parasite infestation. This happens in cases of insufficient heat treatment of products;
- Use of household items - from infected people through close contact;
- Visiting public toilets.
Enterobiasis or pinworm infestation most often occurs in cold climates. It is worth paying attention to the fact that if enterobiasis is neglected, its consequences can be dysbiosis, appendicitis, peritonitis and other equally serious diseases. Therefore, at the first symptoms of infection, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible.
It is quite difficult to determine the presence of worms in pregnant women. Symptoms accompanying the course of pregnancy and signs of the appearance of worms in the body are similar. It can be nausea, feeling unwell, exacerbation of chronic ailments. The appearance of itching in the anus, a burning sensation, irritation in the vaginal area is a distinctive feature of pinworms.
Pinworms during pregnancy: how to get rid of them
How can a pregnant woman get rid of parasites?
Remember that only a doctor can prescribe an anthelmintic drug that will not harm either the mother or the unborn child. He will propose a scheme, a dosage for taking the medication, which will depend on the duration of pregnancy, the state of health of the woman.
Attention! Self-medication is dangerous! The substances included in the drugs can harm the development of the fetus, and there are no harmless and at the same time effective remedies for enterobiasis.
Treatment with medicines begins no earlier than from the second or third trimesters. In the first twelve weeks, all organs of the baby are laid and the risk of damage to the fetus from drugs is very high.
But it is worth remembering that it is imperative to treat an infection with worms. Worms lead to poisoning of both the mother's body and the baby's body. The drugs with which you can get rid of pinworms in the shortest possible time (one day) include Pirantel, Dekaris, Piperazine. The drug will destroy pinworms, their larvae, and eggs. In addition, zinc ointment is used.
She needs to lubricate the skin near the anus. The ointment has antiseptic properties that are detrimental to parasites. It is possible to use rectal suppositories based on herbal ingredients. It can be Vormil, Prostada, Helmavitol. They are safe for both the baby and the mother. Every day before going to bed, one suppository should be injected into the anus. The course of treatment is one week.
Sometimes, to get rid of pinworms, it is enough to observe the norms of personal hygiene. If re-infection does not occur, the pinworms will die on their own within 20-25 days.
Folk remedies for getting rid of pinworms during pregnancy
To get rid of pinworms, you can use traditional medicine. This is a more gentle, but at the same time effective way to get rid of pinworms. This method is suitable for the treatment of both pregnant and lactating mothers.
A contraindication for the use of folk recipes can be diseases such as ulcers, pancreatitis, gastritis. In the presence of such diseases, it is better to consult a doctor and remove pinworms from the body with the help of medications.
So, the recipes for traditional medicine:
- Mince raw pumpkin seeds. Take one tablespoon on an empty stomach before breakfast;
- Prepare a decoction of ninety grams of pumpkin seeds. To do this, pour half a liter of water over the seeds and cook them for twenty minutes. Drink the broth on an empty stomach. The course of treatment is a week;
- Before breakfast, take one tablespoon of chopped dill seeds and one tablespoon of whole dill seeds. Wash down the seeds with water. Limit your fluid intake throughout the day. Take a laxative approved for pregnant women at night. It can be a few berries of prunes, a little boiled beets, two tablespoons of vegetable oil;
- Chop the walnut kernels. There should be four tablespoons. Pour them with one glass of boiling water, add a pinch of salt. The mixture must be infused for half an hour. Then strain the infusion and drink throughout the day;
- Pomegranate juice - in addition to having anthelmintic properties, it increases hemoglobin in the blood;
- Beet juice - take one hundred to one hundred and twenty milliliters before breakfast. The course of treatment is ten days;
- Infusion of thyme. To prepare it, you need two tablespoons of powdered herbs, pour 200 milliliters of boiling water. Wrap the container with the infusion. You need to insist for two to three hours. Then strain and drink in one go. After two hours, drink the saline solution (proportion: one tablespoon of salt to two hundred and fifty milliliters of water). The procedure is best done at night. Course - a week;
- Herbal teas made from chamomile, strawberry, lingonberry, marigold, lavender, valerian. You can brew in any combination;
- The diet must contain raw carrots, pumpkin, onions and garlic (onions and garlic should be used with caution). Sweet and dairy products should be discarded for the period of treatment.
Pinworms during pregnancy: prevention of infection
Pregnant women should not forget about preventive actions for enterobiasis.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds after walking, contact with animals, money, going to the toilet;
- Subject to necessary and sufficient heat treatment of meat and fish;
- Wash vegetables, fruits, berries and herbs thoroughly;
- Wash bed and towels more often;
- Iron or steam clean things;
- Get rid of the bad habit of biting your nails;
- Constantly carry out wet cleaning of the apartment;
- Give adequate attention to pets.
You can get rid of enterobiasis during pregnancy. But remember that the treatment must be supervised by the attending physician.
Adhering to all the rules of treatment and personal hygiene, you will get rid of pinworms, and also protect your body from all types of worms. Health to you and your children!