Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Worms are parasites that can inhabit the human body of any gender and age. There are many types of helminths, but only a few of them can parasitize in the human body. Roundworms belong to this type of worms.
These worms can reach a length of 50 cm and live in the host's body for a whole year, without indicating their presence in any way. These helminths are localized in the intestine, moving freely along it. It is possible to detect the presence of ascaris after passing the appropriate tests or when conducting an ultrasound or X-ray.
One roundworm that has settled in the body of an adult can bring many inconveniences and cause a significant decrease in immunity. If helminths have settled in the intestines in large numbers, then they can lead to serious problems such as obstruction.
For children, infection with these helminths is very dangerous, since these worms absorb all the nutrients that the growing body needs.
In most cases, helminthic infestation is a disorder of unwashed hands that affects young children. This is due to their lifestyle. Sharing toys, close contact with other children and animals, eating dirty food with unwashed hands are all potentially dangerous and can lead to the appearance of the parasite in the baby's body.
The second factor affecting the spread of roundworm is the consumption of foods that have not undergone heat treatment. All vegetables and fruits should be well washed and doused with boiling water. Meat and fish are necessarily cooked using high temperatures that are destructive for worms. It is best to drink bottled or boiled water.
In addition, infection can occur in a domestic environment, although such cases are quite rare.
If one roundworm has settled in the body of an adult with good immunity, then it is rather difficult to detect it without additional tests. However, you will notice a significant decrease in immunity, as well as problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
When a person with low immunity or a child is infected, all symptoms of the disease will be present:
- Abdominal pain;
- Changes in stool consistency - diarrhea or constipation is possible;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Headaches and dizziness;
- Unpleasant sensations in the anus - itching and burning;
- Sleep problems;
- Appetite disturbance - its increase or decrease.
If such symptoms occur, it is imperative to consult a doctor for a comprehensive examination.
If the disease is ignored, then a number of complications may occur:
- Bowel obstruction;
- Colic in the region of the liver.
The most dangerous consequences of infection with roundworms is asphyxiation when the worm is released through the respiratory tract, as well as damage to internal organs.
Traditional medicines or traditional medicine recipes will help to remove worms at home.
When using drugs for the treatment of ascariasis, it is recommended to repeat the course of treatment after 3 weeks.
- Pirantel. Today this drug is one of the most effective in removing worms from the human body. Available in the form of standard tablets, chewable tablets, and also in the form of a suspension for children. This drug acts directly on the parasite, making it impossible for it to feed. As a result, the worm dies and leaves the body. For the treatment of an adult, it is necessary to take this drug at the rate of 10 mg per 1 kg of body weight. The course of treatment consists in a one-time intake of the medication;
- "Dekaris". Another name for this drug is "Levamisole". The active substance acts on the helminth in a paralyzing manner, which makes it impossible for it to move freely and eat. As a result, the worm leaves the body within 24 hours. When treating adults at home, it is necessary to take once 150 mg of the drug, which corresponds to three tablets. For children, the dosage is calculated as follows: body weight is multiplied by 2, 5 - this is the amount of mg that must be taken by the sick person. If roundworms are found in a preschool child, then it is not recommended to carry out treatment at home without additional consultation with a specialist. Re-taking the pills is carried out a week after the main treatment;
- Piperazine. This is one of the safest drugs created to get rid of worms. It is allowed to be taken even during pregnancy and lactation, as well as for the treatment of children under 1 year old. The active substance paralyzes helminths, but does not contribute to their elimination, therefore it is recommended to additionally put a cleansing enema. The course of treatment lasts 2 days. The tablets are taken 2 times a day on an empty stomach. The maximum dose allowed for admission for adults is 4 g. There is a Piperazine solution for children. The dosage in this case must be agreed with the attending physician;
- "Naphtamon". This drug is available in the form of capsules or tablets, which affect only the area of localization of worms. As a result, the muscles of the parasites are reduced, and they can no longer harm the host's body. The parasite is excreted along with the feces. When taking "Naftamon" you do not need to use laxatives or put an enema, since the tablets have a mild laxative effect.
Each drug has its own characteristics, therefore, side effects may differ, however, in general, the following manifestations can be noted:
- general weakness;
- headache, etc.
All of these side effects occur only in the case of drug overdose, therefore, before starting treatment, you must make sure that the correct dose of the drug is selected. Treatment of preschool children is carried out only under the supervision of a doctor.
Choking can be an additional side effect. The fact is that roundworms can go out not only through the anus, but also through the nose or mouth, therefore, during medical or preventive measures, adults are advised to sleep on their side, and also pay special attention to children.
Concomitant medicinal products
In addition to antihelminthic drugs, treatment may also include:
- tablets to combat intoxication, since many antihelminthic drugs are toxic;
- tablets or capsules to normalize the intestinal microflora, which is disturbed while the parasite lives in the intestine;
- antiallergic medicines.
When carrying out complex treatment, the dosage is set by the attending physician.
Worms are parasites that can significantly weaken the body, cause an exacerbation of chronic diseases, slow down the normal development of children, and also cause frequent colds.
That is why the treatment and prevention of helminths in the body is very important. Particular attention should be paid to these procedures for parents of young children, as well as people visiting exotic countries.
If one person in the family is sick, then all family members must undergo preventive treatment, and all clothes must be heat-treated.