Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
The health of the prostate gland is of great importance for the male body and for the quality of life in general. However, this gland often suffers from various problems, which leads to a deterioration in well-being and impaired sexual function.
It is impossible to ignore the warning signs, because the earlier the treatment begins, the more positive the prognosis for the patient.
Signs of pathology in the prostate
The prostate is part of the reproductive system, on which the sex life and fertility of a man directly depend. Usually, the prostate gland is no larger than a walnut, but in the presence of pathology, the size and structure of the organ can change. To determine what is happening with the genitourinary system, what are the problems, you need to contact a urologist who will collect the necessary information and prescribe a number of studies.
The patient needs to pass a series of blood and urine tests, a biopsy of prostate tissue, ultrasound or MRI. This will help determine the nature of the disease and its stage. After receiving the results of the examination, the doctor will diagnose and prescribe treatment.
The most common diseases of the prostate are prostatitis, prostate adenoma and cancer. These pathological conditions differ in symptoms and severity of the course.
Here are their signs:
- Prostatitis is an inflammatory disease of the prostate gland that develops in men of different ages, including very young ones. Its signs are frequent urge to urinate, accompanied by cutting pains, soreness in the perineum and scrotum, decreased libido, premature ejaculation and other negative phenomena. Symptoms are especially acute in the acute phase of the disease, and in the chronic stage, pathology can develop for a long time without pronounced symptoms. But you cannot leave it unattended, because in the absence of treatment, prostatitis provokes other inflammatory processes of the genitourinary system;
- Adenoma of the prostate, also called benign prostatic dysplasia. More than half of all men over 50 are affected by it. This pathological condition does not pose a threat to life, but it brings significant discomfort, since the prostate increases in size and presses on the bladder and urethra. Symptoms of adenoma in the prostate in the initial stages are frequent urge to urinate, but this process is difficult. If you do not start treatment in a timely manner, then the tone of the bladder falls, which makes it impossible to empty it on its own;
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men. At the same time, statistics show that the incidence of pathology is increasing. This terrible ailment also makes it difficult to urinate and negatively affects the erection, but also its signs are the appearance of blood in the semen and urine. At stage I, it is very difficult to detect an ailment, since even ultrasound machines fix a tumor in the gland only at stage II. But this is often enough for the treatment of the problem to be successful. In the later stages of tumor development, the prognosis is not so reassuring and therapy is aimed at prolonging the patient's life and alleviating his condition.
Most of the pathologies of the prostate gland are treatable. The main thing is not to ignore their symptoms and not be afraid to see a doctor, then the chances of getting rid of an unpleasant problem will increase significantly.
Causes of diseases
Diseases of the prostate gland have common symptoms and their prerequisites also largely converge.
Among the factors that provoke diseases of this organ, the following stand out:
- The presence of bad habits: excessive alcohol consumption, smoking and addiction to other toxic substances. This phenomenon leads to many systemic and local pathologies, and the male reproductive system suffers greatly from them;
- Low sexual activity. Little attention is paid to this circumstance, nevertheless, it is this circumstance that leads to negative changes in the prostate and other organs of the genitourinary system of men;
- Addiction to fatty, spicy, fried, salty foods. This trait is inherent in many modern people, but it leads to negative changes in vital organs and systems;
- Age-related changes. It has been noticed that over the years, hormonal disruptions occur more often, and men develop prostate diseases of an inflammatory or other nature;
- Temperatures too high or too low. Often the causes of illness are hypothermia or overheating of the pelvic organs, so men are advised to dress thoroughly in winter, but not to get carried away with the heated seat in the car;
- Mechanical damage to the prostate gland. Such injuries can occur during sports or physical work, as well as during any daily activities. Injury to this organ does not always pass without consequences;
- Low physical activity. This factor leads to stagnation of blood, a decrease in immunity and a slowdown in metabolic processes. Such a set of negative phenomena affects men's health;
- The hereditary factor plays a role in diagnosis, especially in the diagnosis of genital cancers in men.
Not always the appearance of diseases of the prostate gland can be explained by objective factors. Nevertheless, if it is possible to determine the prerequisites of the disease, this will facilitate the diagnosis and prescription of adequate treatment.
Since diseases of the prostate gland are serious diseases that entail serious consequences and worsen the quality of life of patients, they require long-term systemic treatment. When alarming symptoms appear, do not rely on the advice of friends who have faced similar difficulties. The urologist will select an individual treatment regimen based on the specific clinical picture.
- For prostatitis and BPH, antimicrobial drugs are often used to fight infection and reduce inflammation in the affected organ. Antibiotics Amikacin, Erythromycin, Norfloxacin have a wide spectrum of action and fight various pathogens of inflammation. The treatment regimen is prescribed by the doctor, based on the symptoms and causes of the disease. As a rule, the course of taking antibiotics is 14 days, and it should not be interrupted, even after persistent improvements appear.
- If the condition is accompanied by severe pain, then non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs based on ibuprofen may be prescribed. It is advisable to use preparations in the form of suppositories, for example, Nurofen or Diclofenac. Such funds do not affect the digestive system and are rapidly absorbed through the mucous membrane.
- In cases where prostate cancer is diagnosed, specialized treatment is prescribed. This takes into account the patient's condition and the stage of the disease.
Various medical procedures are very important in getting rid of prostate pathologies. In particular, massage of the prostate gland is considered by many experts to be one of the most effective methods of treating prostatitis and prostate adenoma.
In addition, physiotherapy techniques are actively used: electrophoresis (both independent and in conjunction with anesthetic drugs), magnetotherapy, ultrasound treatment. Such methods help relieve inflammation, reduce swelling of the diseased organ, reduce pain and speed up the healing process.
If a malignant tumor is diagnosed, then chemotherapy and surgical methods of treatment are used. Most often, if there are no metastases, then the treatment is to remove the prostate. If the diagnosis was made at a later date, then drugs are prescribed that can eliminate the pain syndrome. Doctors predict patients with stage IV cancer up to 3 years of age.
Since it is not always possible to establish the reason why the gland has undergone a disease, it is also impossible to name a clear prevention scheme. If only general recommendations that will strengthen men's health and will not allow many ailments to develop.
A healthy lifestyle, including diet and regular physical activity, will increase immunity, improve blood circulation, including in the pelvic organs. This preventive measure is very important for those who want to avoid prostate diseases.
In addition, for the prevention of pathologies of this organ, it is necessary to have regular sexual activity. For young men, the norm is at least 3 intercourse per week.
Annual visits to the urologist are good preventive measures for diseases of the reproductive system. The doctor gives relevant advice in order to avoid diseases of the prostate gland, as well as to identify ailments in the early stages, which will facilitate their treatment.