Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
A mole (nevus) is a benign formation that appears due to a malfunction of melanocytes - cells that produce melanin pigment, the accumulation of which forms it. It can be congenital or acquired, but with normal development it should not change significantly throughout life. Despite the fact that the appearance of such formations is the norm, some of them can be a lot of trouble, so special attention should be paid to such skin pigmentation.
The main cause for concern is the modification and redness of the mole. There are several risk groups that are provocateurs that the mole turns red: people with light skin color, owners of a large number of freckles, many age spots, large nevi. In this case, you need to establish the reason in order to protect yourself from unpleasant consequences.
This can only be done by a specialist after an examination with the help of equipment. Consider what may be causing the birthmark to turn red and swollen, and what treatments are available for this problem.
Mole blushed and swollen: causes
There can be more than 100 marks on the human body at the same time, most of them are not dangerous, since they are small in size, flat in shape and are located in places that are not exposed to aggressive effects. It is normal for small growths to appear that can change shape and even size, but this should all proceed very slowly and consistently. However, if the nevus turns red, itches and is swollen, you need to sound the alarm and look for a specialist.
Consider what are the known reasons for the modification of a nevus:
- Mechanical damage. This can be done with tight clothing, washing the body with a hard washcloth. In this case, the color of the mole changes and even bleeding appears;
- Chemical damage. These include the influence of chemicals, low-quality cosmetics with a large amount of harmful synthetic substances, hygiene products with an aggressive composition;
- Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet rays. While tanning can make your skin look beautiful, it can negatively affect your health. Systematic burns lead to the appearance of new nevi and change the old ones, so doctors do not recommend being under the sun for a long time without the protection of special means;
- Self-removal of a nevus or hair that grew from it. Doctors categorically prohibit getting rid of a nevus at home with the help of pharmacy drugs or traditional medicine. Such compositions will help to remove only the superficial manifestation of education, while leaving the base intact. It is also impossible to remove hairs, since in this case the integrity of the nevus is damaged;
- Change in hormonal levels. This can happen in women during pregnancy, after taking hormonal drugs, during puberty and with the onset of menopause. When nothing like this has anything to do with you, there may be a hormonal disease, with which you must definitely consult a doctor;
- Rebirth into melanoma. The transformation of a benign formation into a malignant one is the most dangerous cause that can be fatal. In this case, only an oncologist will help.
Mole blushed and enlarged: treatment methods
Any discomfort in the nevus should serve as a reason for contacting a doctor, as they may indicate the appearance of melanoma. Only in a medical institution is it possible to pass the necessary tests and establish the cause of this problem. When the nevus turns red due to damage, it means that an infection has been introduced into the wound.
It is strictly forbidden to scratch the birthmark; slight pressure with the pad of your finger on the area around it is allowed. To prevent infection, you can treat the damaged formation with hydrogen peroxide or calendula tincture, and then walk around the edge with iodine. If the inflammation persists, you need to go to the hospital. In case of infection, the doctor will prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs and the problem will go away quickly.
Inflammation of a hanging mole can be removed with a product that contains an antibiotic, zinc or salicylic acid. Additionally, it can be sprinkled with streptocide or lubricated with linseed oil. Often, when it is impossible to establish the reason why the mole turned red, a biopsy is prescribed.
This analysis will determine the presence of harmful cells that can be fatal. If after it a diagnosis of "intermediate stage of degeneration" is made, cauterization should be done, for example, with liquid nitrogen.
The mole turns red and itches: removal methods
After passing the tests, the specialist can judge the processes that occur in the tissues. Based on their results, the tactics of treatment and the way to get rid of the problem are determined.
Today there are the following methods that allow you to quickly and painlessly remove a nevus:
- Surgical excision. A method of surgical intervention, in which the doctor removes a red mole and all tissues that are located near it with a scalpel. The depth of removal is determined by the doctor during the operation. After the cut out flesh is sent for histology, and stitches are applied to the wound. Disadvantages of this method: soreness and scars after removal;
- Cryodestruction. The method is based on deep freezing of a nevus. The principle of operation is that liquid nitrogen with a temperature of -195 degrees is supplied to the tip of the device. It is to them that the specialist touches the chosen place. With such an impact, crystals are formed and the vital activity of cells is stopped. The procedure takes on average a few minutes. The treated mole disappears within a month after the procedure. A barely noticeable speck remains in its place;
- Electrocoagulation. The mole is removed using high-frequency current. It is carried out only when the diagnosis of malignant formation has not been established. The procedure is performed under local anesthesia. With the help of a special loop through which the current passes, all pigmented tissues are removed. Healing takes place quickly, scars are not formed. At the same time, there is completely no risk of bleeding and infection;
- Radio wave therapy. It is based on the impact of high-frequency radio waves. The method is safe and does not carry harmful radiation. The procedure takes no longer than 20 minutes. The excision is performed with a special electrode, which cuts off the body of the nevus in seconds. By sealing the capillaries, the mole does not bleed. Convenient nozzle allows you to remove marks in places where other devices cannot reach;
- Laser removal. The procedure is performed using a neodymium laser, which acts only on dark cells, while completely not heating the tissues around. After the procedure, the nevus becomes dark burgundy, and after a while it brightens and disappears. To obtain a complete result, several procedures will be required, since the laser acts gradually, destroying layer by layer. This is the most successful and progressive method today.
Prevention of the appearance of changes in moles
In order to avoid the appearance of this problem in the future, it is recommended to adhere to the following simple rules:
- drink plenty of fluids;
- diversify the diet with fresh vegetables and fruits;
- drink lemon juice on an empty stomach;
- protect the skin from sun exposure.
It is important to understand that this is a rather serious problem that requires immediate medical attention. Only in this case it is possible to start treatment on time and avoid serious consequences.