Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Humanity has defeated many different diseases, and head lice continues to exist. It is believed that lice is the result of a violation of simple hygiene rules. Unfortunately, you can live in excellent conditions, use hot water, expensive shampoo and get parasites in any crowded place.
How can you get lice?
Lice are small, blood-sucking insects that live and reproduce in the scalp. They parasitize exclusively on humans. Therefore, they can only be infected from other people. Lice do not fly or jump. But, despite the fact that they simply crawl, the change of habitat for these parasites occurs quite quickly. Lice at room temperature can live up to 2 days outside a person.
Possible ways of infection with head lice:
- Close contact with a large number of people (public transport, cinemas, swimming pools, shops, queues, elevators);
- Using other people's combs, hairpins, towels;
- Wearing someone else's clothes;
- Trying on hats;
- Shared bedding (mattresses, pillows, etc.).
Signs of head lice
After a lice infestation, it may take several weeks for the first symptoms to occur. During this time, the parasites have time to lay eggs (nits) many times.
The first signs of head lice:
- Constant itching at the bite sites;
- Rash and redness of the scalp under the hair;
- Wounds in places of scratching;
- The presence of nits on the hair.
It is not easy to spot lice in your hair, and it is easy to see nits under the light of a lamp.
Most often, lice infestation occurs in children's groups (kindergarten, school, sports clubs, hiking trips, etc.).
Preventive measures to control parasites
Any disease is easier to prevent than to fight it later. The prevention of head lice is now much easier than in the last century.
To protect against lice, the following medications have been developed that are used at home:
- "Khigiya" is a highly effective remedy against lice. The active substance peretrin acts on the neuromuscular system of the insect and quickly destroys both mature individuals and nits. The drug is low-toxic, quickly degrades in air, does not accumulate in human tissues. The product is rubbed into the scalp. After 15 minutes, rinse your head in warm water. After drying, comb with a fine comb;
- "Nittifof" is a pediculicide cream with the active ingredient permethrin. The product destroys adult insects and their eggs (nits). The drug is applied to the scalp and hair. After 10 minutes of exposure, the head is washed with warm running water and dried, combing the hair along the entire length with a fine comb;
- "Pedilin" is a highly effective combined preparation that destroys lice and nits. The tool is used for the prevention and treatment of head lice. The solution "Pedilin" moisten the scalp and hair along the entire length. After that, the head is covered with a scarf for 10 minutes, then washed in warm water;
- "Couple Plus" - a spray for the treatment and prevention of head lice. The preparation contains three active ingredients: malathion, permethrin, piperonyl butoxide. The spray is sprayed onto the hair and scalp. After 7-10 minutes, the head is washed in warm water with shampoo. The drug can be used to treat clothes, bedding.
Lice do not tolerate some odors and do not settle near their sources.
To prevent head lice at home, you can use the following natural remedies:
- Chemerichnaya water is an old remedy for lice. The drug is available in the form of a solution of hellebore roots. The plant contains alkaloids that affect the digestive and reproductive systems of parasites. Using a cotton swab, the drug is applied to the scalp and hair. Cover the head with a scarf and leave for 30 minutes. Then the head is washed in running water and combed with a frequent comb;
- Essential lavender oil is a lice repellent. For prevention, oil is applied to the neck, temples, areas behind the ears. A few drops can be added to shampoo and conditioners;
- Combinations of several essential oils are an effective prophylactic against lice. Mix a few drops of lavender, tea tree, bergamot, geranium, rosemary, eucalyptus oil. The composition repels insects well. The product is applied to the scalp and left on for 30 minutes. Then the head should be washed with shampoo in warm water. To scare away insects, you can simply lubricate the areas behind the ears, the border of the hair on the neck, and the temples with this mixture.
In order to prevent parasites, a set of the following measures should be taken:
- Avoid close contact with people living in unsanitary conditions;
- Do not use other people's combs, hairpins, hats;
- If itching occurs, carefully examine the scalp and hair for nits;
- When visiting crowded events, use deterrents;
- Periodically treat your head with special shampoos.
When working in children's groups or when forced to communicate with people leading a wandering lifestyle, it is necessary to use special hats or headscarves to cover the hair.
In children's institutions, outbreaks of head lice are not uncommon.
Children can become infected with lice during joint games, sleeping on adjacent beds, from a neighbor on a desk, etc.
In order to prevent the spread of lice among children, simple sanitary rules have been developed. Medical workers of children's organizations are obliged to examine each incoming child for the presence of lice and nits. During the day, it is necessary to observe the behavior of children. If a child periodically scratches his head, he should be carefully examined for the presence of parasites.
If lice are detected, the child should be isolated and the entire group of children in close contact with the infected should be examined. It is necessary to inform parents about possible infestation of lice and advise them on preventive measures at home.
Additional recommendations have been developed for children to avoid infestation with lice.
- Application of special gentle shampoos (Nix, Veda, Biosim, etc.);
- Using hair rinses. After applying them, the hair becomes slippery, it is difficult for insects to hold onto them and attach nits;
- Girls should braid their long hair, while short haircuts are recommended for boys;
- Children should be told about lice, how easy it is to get infected by using other people's combs, hairpins, towels, hats and other personal items.
To prevent infection with body lice, you should first of all monitor the cleanliness of your clothes, wash and change them regularly. You cannot walk for more than 4-5 days without changing your underwear.
Lice infestation is not a tragic event. You should not panic about this. You can always buy a suitable and effective remedy in any pharmacy. But in order not to aggravate the situation, in every family the prevention of head lice should be carried out constantly.