Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Most adults have to deal with edema - fluid retention in the body. Swelling can be external - visible, and internal (hidden) - when fluid accumulates inside the body and poses a serious health hazard.
Edema is not a disease - this symptom only indicates a particular pathological condition of the body.
They may indicate a malfunction of the heart, respiratory system, kidneys, liver, vascular insufficiency and impaired lymph drainage.
Diuretics are used to remove accumulated fluid from the body.
They are divided into categories and according to the strength of the effect; food and traditional medicine can also be used as a diuretic.
Diuretics for edema - action and classification
Diuretics and diuretics are drugs that cause the kidneys to increase the amount of urine produced in a short time.
Diuretics are classified according to their effectiveness and the substances from which they are made. The effect of diuretics on the body can be weak, moderate and strong. According to the active substance, the funds are divided into synthetic and natural.
If we consider the mechanism of action of pharmacological drugs on the body, diuretics can be divided into the following categories:
- renal - remove ions of calcium, sodium, magnesium, chlorine and potassium;
- extrarenal - acid-forming and osmotic agents that, passing through the kidneys, release chlorine ions, increasing the amount of fluid excreted.
If we consider diuretics in relation to their chemical structure, then they can be divided as follows:
- mercury - "Novurit", "Promeran";
- thiazide - "Dichlothiazide", "Uregit", "Chlorthalidone";
- derivatives of the above substances - "Torasemid", "Diuver";
- the active substance is obtained by inactivation of carbonic anhydrase - "Diranid", "Diacarb".
There are also drugs that include diuretics of different groups.
Natural diuretics can be:
- products - fruits, vegetables, berries.
Traditional medicine for getting rid of edema offers various diets, tinctures, decoctions and extracts of various medicinal plants.
Choice of diuretics
When prescribing diuretics, the doctor assesses the patient's condition, and, according to the clinical picture, selects a diuretic depending on the speed and strength of the action.
There are no absolutely harmless diuretics - even folk formulations remove useful substances from the body along with water.
Loop diuretics. These include popular quick-acting remedies - "Furosemide", "Ethacrynic acid" and "Torasemide". They quickly eliminate edema, lower blood pressure, and can be prescribed for diabetes mellitus
But due to the rapid action and pressure drop, patients experience tinnitus and temporary hearing loss. They remove ions of calcium, potassium, magnesium, therefore, they require additional therapy when applied - you have to simultaneously drink tablets with a high content of potassium and magnesium - "Asparkam" or "Panangin". These medicines can also cause side effects.
For frequent use, the drugs are not suitable, however, with morning swelling of the face - when there are such bags under the eyes that it is impossible to open the eye, loop diuretics are a salvation.
Potassium-sparing diuretics - "Spironolactone" or "Veroshpiron" - for morning swelling of the face is meaningless to use. They do not remove potassium and magnesium ions, their effect is mild and weak, and they act after taking only a few days later - from 2 to 5, depending on the dose and the individual reaction of the body. Side effects when using them are less pronounced and rarely occur - they include weakness, drowsiness, lethargy, pain in the abdomen
These funds are used for problems of the cardiovascular system.
- Osmotic diuretics - "Mannitol" tablets, glucose solution with urea and glycerin. These funds produce a pronounced effect, quickly relieve swelling, side effects are rare. Undesirable manifestations include: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, allergic skin reactions.
- Thiazide diuretics are characterized by strong action and long lasting effect - up to 10-12 hours. "Polythiazide" and "Dichlothiazide" do not affect the acid-base balance, however, they can cause a deficiency of potassium and the accumulation of uric acid.
That is why they are not prescribed for patients with gout, arthrosis, diabetes mellitus.
The mildest effect on the body is exerted by diuretics based on natural ingredients - "Kanefron", "Cyston" and herbal teas of various compositions. They include extracts from plant materials - bearberry, field horsetail, centaury and others
It is possible to get rid of puffiness on the face under the eyes with their help only with prolonged use, but it is not recommended to use them for more than 2 months. They remove magnesium, potassium and calcium ions in the same way as chemical pharmaceuticals - only more slowly. This effect has a negative effect on the functioning of the stomach and intestines.
There are no diuretics that are absolutely harmless and have no contraindications. Unfortunately, most of them are sold without a prescription, and patients self-medicate, prescribing the most "favorite" remedy for themselves with edema on the advice of relatives or friends.
Natural diuretics for edema
Folk remedies for edema help the body get rid of excess fluid and harmful toxins, but they - this must be taken into account - have an effect on the water-electrolyte balance. Therefore, when fighting edema, one should not forget to replenish the supply of nutrients in the body.
In this case, instead of "Asparkam", it is recommended to introduce baked potatoes or bananas into the diet.
- It is advisable to drink all decoctions and infusions of a diuretic action before 16.00.
- At the beginning of the treatment course, 1/3 of the required portion is drunk, and if the remedy is suitable, the dose is increased gradually.
- Swelling of the legs should go away for 2 days from the start of treatment, the face - no later than 3. If this does not happen, then the healing composition is not suitable and you need to look for another remedy.
- Every 2 months, the medicinal formulations must be changed.
- After 2 months of treatment, it is necessary to take a break for 2 weeks.
With puffiness under the eyes, not only diuretic herbs help, but also lotions. The complex effect of parsley broth inside and rosehip petals compress - outside helps to quickly get rid of the cosmetic defect.
Contraindications to taking diuretics
Diuretics have many absolute contraindications, which include:
- malignant neoplasms of the urinary organs;
- inflammatory kidney disease of various etiologies;
- renal and hepatic impairment;
- increased acidity of the stomach;
- violation of absorption of nutrients …
Relative contraindications to the use of diuretics are:
- erosive processes in the intestine in the exacerbation stage;
- infectious inflammatory processes of various etiologies;
- pregnancy and lactation.
During pregnancy, it is advisable to get rid of excess fluid in the body with the help of a rationally composed diet - juices of carrots, viburnum, birch have a diuretic effect; food prepared with a minimum amount of salt; cranberry and lingonberry fruit drinks.
Despite the fact that during pregnancy it is allowed to use field horsetail, kidney tea and bearberry, you should consult your doctor before using them. Many natural drugs - not to mention pharmaceuticals - can cause abortion, so they should be used very carefully.
When choosing a diuretic, doctors try to give preference to those made from natural ingredients, but they can also cause health problems if they are used illiterately and haphazardly.