Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
The most common foot injury is toenail fungus. Fungal spores multiply in people with weakened immune systems, as well as in those who have scratches or other damage to the skin. Other main triggers for the appearance of fungus on the nails are: vascular disease, poor circulation, diabetes mellitus and wearing uncomfortable shoes.
The main methods of infection: contact with objects previously used by a sick person, places where a large number of people congregate.
As everyone knows, the sooner a problem is identified, the easier it is to get rid of it with proper treatment.
Consider what manifestations of the disease you need to pay attention to in order to see a doctor on time:
- Redness and flaking of the skin around the nails of the feet;
- Deformation of the nail plate occurs, as well as its detachment;
- Unnatural spots, streaks or even darkening appear on the nails;
- In a neglected state, the appearance of erosion or even bubbles is observed.
It is recommended to start treating the problem as early as possible - this will get rid of damage to the nails in a short period of time. You can recover from a fungus with the help of traditional and traditional medicine. Consider how to treat a fungus with boric acid.
Boric acid: description, pros and cons
Boric acid is a powerful antiseptic, the action of which is aimed at destroying various pathogenic microorganisms, viruses, bacteria and fungi. It is obtained by mixing sulfuric acid and borax solution, the result is a fine-grained powder. Use the remedy externally, applying it to the affected area.
Boric acid is available in the form of powder, solution and ointment. Ointment is considered the most popular remedy for getting rid of mycosis, but other drugs are also effective:
- The ointment is produced in small aluminum tubes or glass jars.
- The solution is prepared on the basis of 70% alcohol. It comes in a 70 ml glass bottle.
- The powder is sold in packs of 2, 10 and 20 g.
Due to different forms and packaging, boric acid is used for infectious lesions of different locations. The tool has an antibacterial, antiparasitic and antifungal effect. It is important to remember that no matter which form is chosen, the main condition for the correct use of the medicine in the treatment of nail fungus is the integrity of the skin.
Like any other medication, boric acid against nail fungus has positive and negative properties.
The advantages of this tool include the following points:
- effective destruction of fungal spores;
- freezing the reproduction of the fungus;
- thorough cleansing of the skin;
- efficiency at a low cost of funds.
Cons - the presence of contraindications to use and side effects, when the latter appear, use should be stopped immediately. It is important to understand that it is impossible to cure nail fungus in a neglected state using this remedy. To get rid of it, you will need to use expensive and effective medicines, which will only be prescribed by an experienced specialist.
Treatment of foot fungus with boric acid: methods
When using the product, it is important to follow the recommendations that are indicated in the instructions for use, since boric acid and its components are partially introduced into the systemic circulation.
Consider how to use different types of medicine:
- Ointment. Boric acid treatment only gives positive results when applied to previously cleansed skin. The first positive results will be noticeable after 10 days. The drug is treated 2 times a day. The average course of treatment is up to 4 weeks. If after this time the skin condition has not improved, you need to consult a doctor to prescribe another method for treating foot fungus;
- Powder. This type of drug is used in the form of trays. The powder is diluted as follows: to begin with, prepare a basin with a volume of 5 liters with hot water, its temperature should be in the range of 55 degrees. Add 40 g of boric acid powder to the container and mix thoroughly. Allow the water to cool slightly and place the feet affected by the fungus in it. Hold the limbs until the water cools completely, and then wipe them with a towel. It is recommended to carry out such procedures every 2 days;
- The second type is a compress - a fairly easy method of application. They are made at night, sleep time allows all components of boric acid to exert their positive properties. To prepare the composition, take a powder and pour it on the affected nail in a small amount. It is important to remember that feet must be thoroughly washed and dried before doing this. On top of the nail, the medicine is fixed with a medical plaster and socks are put on;
- Alcohol solution. With the help of this tool, nail treatment is performed in the following way: the affected area is treated, which is thoroughly cleaned beforehand, steamed and wiped dry. After application, it is recommended not to cover the surface of the nails affected by the fungus for some time, and to allow the product to be completely absorbed. It is recommended to carry out such processing several times a day. After the procedure, it is better to wear woolen socks, doctors are strongly against synthetics. The duration of therapy depends on many parameters and is most often set in each individual case.
Experts assure that boric acid shows the best results when combined with various essential oils, which also have antifungal properties and help the agent effectively fight the development of the disease. The oils are rubbed in after the skin has been treated with the preparation. For a complete recovery, treatment is carried out until the new nail grows back or the skin is completely renewed.
Contraindications and side effects
Boric acid is an odorless substance that is relatively harmless and easy to use. However, despite this, the remedy has some contraindications.
Consider in what situations it is better not to carry out such nail treatment:
- the presence of an individual allergy to the substance;
- if you have kidney problems;
- period of pregnancy and lactation;
- with the defeat of a large area of the body;
- children's age of the patient.
Starting treatment for nail fungus without taking into account contraindications will lead to side effects. Their occurrence is due to the fact that boric acid is absorbed into the bloodstream.
The negative phenomena include the following:
- the appearance of a feeling of nausea, violation of the stool and pain in the abdomen;
- consciousness problems, pain in the head and seizures;
- decrease in blood pressure indicators, heart palpitations;
- reduction in the daily amount of urine;
- the appearance of allergic skin rashes and even puffiness.
Based on all of the above, it is important to understand that such a disease requires a mandatory prompt response. It is impossible to postpone the treatment of nail fungus, since it is easy and relatively inexpensive to defeat it only at the first stage of the development of the disease.