Table of contents:
- Reasons for the appearance of candidiasis of the tongue
- Symptoms, forms and treatment of candidiasis of the tongue
- How to treat candidiasis of the tongue?
- Oral candidiasis tablets
- Topical preparations
- What should you rinse your mouth with for candidiasis of the tongue?
- Diet for candidiasis of the tongue
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Candidiasis is a disease provoked by the fungi of the same name. The latter are conditionally pathogenic organisms, that is, they are constantly present on the skin and mucous membranes of a person, but are dangerous only with active reproduction.
Tongue candidiasis is more common in childhood. In adults, it often occurs when using dentures, as a result of a decrease in immunity and other diseases.
Reasons for the appearance of candidiasis of the tongue
- Weak immunity, immunodeficiency, lack of immune cells;
- Pregnancy. There is a natural decrease in immunity, changes in metabolism and hormonal levels;
- Comorbidities, tuberculosis, HIV, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and adrenal glands. Tongue candidiasis may be the first sign of diabetes;
- Medicines that suppress the immune defense - cytostatics, corticosteroids;
- Long-term antibiotic therapy;
- Dysbacteriosis, deficiency of vitamins C, PP, group B;
- The causes of candidiasis can be associated with bad habits, primarily with smoking;
- Radiation therapy;
- Taking oral contraceptives;
- Minor injuries to the mucous membrane of the mouth and tongue;
- Operation of dentures.
Candidiasis can be contracted from another person, for example, during childbirth (from mother to child), during kissing, sexual intercourse, using common household items (eg dishes). Candida can be spread from animal to person.
Symptoms, forms and treatment of candidiasis of the tongue
The course of the disease can be acute or chronic.
- The acute form, in turn, is divided into thrush (pseudomembranous) and atrophic candidiasis in the tongue.
- Chronic - into hyperplastic and atrophic.
- At the first stage of the disease, fungi, invading the cells, multiply and produce enzymes that dissolve the surrounding tissues. This leads to swelling, redness, dryness. The tongue becomes too sensitive and painful.
- Further, a cheesy plaque forms, which rises above the mucous membranes.
- At first, the plaque is presented in the form of small white grains on the surface of the tongue. Then it enlarges, becomes like a milky film or plaque. The affected areas may merge with each other. In this case, not only the tongue is affected, but also the cheeks, gums, palate, tonsils, skin of the lips.
- Plaque is easy to remove at first. Under it there will be a red mucous membrane, sometimes ulcers are present. Itching and burning occurs in the mouth - a natural allergic reaction of the body to irritation.
- Symptoms are aggravated by swallowing, eating food, especially hot, sour and spicy foods. With the defeat of the pharynx, there is a feeling of a lump in the throat, difficulty swallowing. The body temperature may also rise.
- With the progression of the disease, a mycotic seizure occurs in the corner of the mouth. The patient is annoyed by reddening of the skin and small cracks, soreness when talking, smiling.
How to treat candidiasis of the tongue?
- The doctor should diagnose, and not make a conclusion only based on the results of an external examination: make a scraping of the mucous membrane, prescribe a blood test, determine the glucose level.
- After this, individual therapy is prescribed.
- If there are chronic ailments, it is necessary to start with their elimination, since usually the reasons for the appearance of thrush are hidden in those. The therapy is prescribed by a dentist or periodontist.
- If the pathological process has spread deep into the body, they turn to an infectious disease specialist or a mycologist. Therapy can be local or general.
Oral candidiasis tablets
General therapy is the intake of systemic drugs. They destroy fungus throughout the body. Antifungal agents (antimycotics) are classified into imidazoles and polyene antibiotics. The first are econazole, miconazole, clotrimazole. They are taken for 1-3 weeks at 50-100 mg per day. The dose and duration of the course are determined depending on the stage and severity of the course of the disease.
Polyene antibiotics are levorin and nystatin. They are drunk after a meal for 10-14 days from 4 to 6 times a day. If there is no effect, intravenous amphoteracin B or amphoglucamine tablets are prescribed.
You can use antiparasitic and antimicrobial agents that stop the growth of fungi:
- Diflucan capsules. The dosage is 50 to 100 mg. Take for 1-2 weeks;
- Fluconazole - 200-400 mg once a day;
- Decamine caramel. Dissolve 1-2 pieces per day. Course - 1-2 weeks;
- Nizoral tablets - 200 mg per day for 2-3 weeks.
You can strengthen immunity with vitamins B, C, PP. They will restore oxidative processes. Calcium gluconate is recommended to relieve allergy symptoms. Suprastin, Diphenhydramine, Pipolfen are used as anti-allergic agents. It is required to take iron preparations (ave. Conferon, Ferroplex pills) in order to restore the metabolism of this substance in the body. The doctor may prescribe a candidal vaccine or drugs that replace it (Methyluracil, Pentoxil), which activate the production of gamma globulins and leukocytes.
Local treatment involves the use of funds that do not have a systemic effect, that is, are not absorbed into the blood.
They relieve symptoms, stop the multiplication of microbes, and accelerate the regeneration of damage.
- Aniline dyes - methylene blue, brilliant green, fucorcin solution;
- Iodine preparations for applications, for example, Lugol's solution, Iodicirin;
- Lysozyme (tablets) for resorption, Lizak;
- Levorin or Nystatin ointment in the presence of seizures and lesions of the skin of the lips.
It is necessary to reorganize the oral cavity, that is, to cure all diseases and relieve inflammation.
You need to pay attention to the health of your gums and teeth. Dentures must be treated with the same antimycotic agents, except for dyes.
What should you rinse your mouth with for candidiasis of the tongue?
Alkaline and disinfectant solutions are recommended. They cleanse the mucous membrane from plaque, remove accumulations of microbes, relieve inflammation, and accelerate the regeneration of damaged tissues.
For these purposes, the following solutions are used:
- borax (sodium tetraborate 2%);
- baking soda (sodium bicarbonate 2%);
- boric acid (2%);
- iodinol with water.
You need to rinse your mouth every few hours (2-3), after each meal and at night. The procedures are done for 1-2 weeks or until the onset of improvement.
Diet for candidiasis of the tongue
It is necessary to limit the diet of confectionery, products containing yeast, spicy, sour. Dishes should be liquid and warm. It is necessary to give up sour and spices. After treatment, the menu is expanded, but it is advisable to exclude the listed products from the diet for a longer time.
It is worth limiting:
- spices, ketchup, mayonnaise;
- Tea coffee;
- sweet soda;
- sweet fruits;
- yeast-containing foods;
- smoked meats, fatty meat and fish.
It is recommended to consume more of the following foods:
- seeds, nuts;
- yeast-free baked goods;
- cranberries, lingonberries, blueberries, unsweetened fruits;
- liver, lean meats and fish;
- olive, linseed, coconut oil;
- vegetables, herbs, especially carrots and garlic;
- fermented milk.
You can treat the disease with folk remedies in combination with medication.
To do this, you can use calendula tea, cranberry, carrot and viburnum juice, decoction of St. John's wort, wild rosemary, oak bark, parsley root, dill seeds, grease your mouth with onion juice, wormwood, garlic, honey, make applications with oils.
Do not self-diagnose and self-medicate! Before starting treatment, you must have a confirmation of the diagnosis and strictly follow the doctor's recommendations!