Table of contents:
- Causes and types of chips
- A piece of a tooth has broken off: what to do first?
- If a tooth breaks off - what will the dentist do?
- Prevention measures
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Many people have encountered a situation where a piece of a tooth suddenly broke off. It is important to know how to provide first aid, so as not to aggravate the situation, and what to expect from a trip to the dentist. In this we will figure it out now.
Causes and types of chips
A similar problem arises for various reasons, we suggest considering the most common options:
- Most often, the nuisance is associated with various injuries, for example, it can be an accidental hit on any object;
- A tooth can also break off due to mechanical damage while eating solid food. For example, trauma from a stone of fruit, nuts, etc.;
- Caries may be to blame, as this disease makes the enamel weak and it is often damaged;
- The presence of an old crack, crumbling or filling leads to a chip;
- Decreased protective functions of the body, for example, due to the transfer of a serious illness or insufficient intake of vitamins and minerals. The damage is caused by diseases of the internal organs;
- The reason, which especially concerns pregnant women, is the lack of calcium in the body.
There are several types of chipping, and the most dangerous option is considered when the wall of the front or rear tooth, namely the enamel, is damaged. Such a problem not only has an unaesthetic appearance, but can also lead to tooth decay in the future. The next type is a dentitis chip, that is, a hard layer that is located above the pulp.
In some situations, such a defect may not even cause pain. In the event that a large piece breaks off, then a build-up is to be done or a crown will be placed. The most problematic and dangerous type of cleavage is when the nerve endings are exposed. In this case, severe pain is felt and it is worth going to the doctor as soon as possible.
A piece of a tooth has broken off: what to do first?
The first thing to do is to put aside panic, because if everything is done correctly, then the situation can be corrected in a short period of time and without much effort. Try to put a piece of a broken back or front tooth back in place by clenching your jaw tightly. This will allow you not to aggravate the situation before going to the doctor.
In the event that pain appears, a cold compress can be applied. Do not use peroxide, alcohol, or aggressive paste. It is important to clean your tooth and rinse your mouth with saline at least twice a day.
If you do nothing and do not go to the doctor, then the situation may worsen, and this will lead to complications. For example, an infection can enter the pulp, increase sensitivity, develop a cyst, etc.
If a tooth breaks off - what will the dentist do?
Modern dentistry allows you to cope with various problems that interfere with the beauty of a smile. Specialists not only do everything possible to restore the functioning of the tooth, but also restore the visual appeal of the smile.
The doctor's actions are directly related to the type of problem:
- If only a piece of enamel has broken off, and the nerve is not damaged, then you only have to put a filling and the problem will be solved;
- In the event that the pulp of the tooth has been opened, then first it will have to be removed and only the doctor will fill the hole with the canal. In some serious cases, a pin may be used, which will help the filling to hold much better;
- When a piece breaks off with serious destruction of the crown, then, in addition to filling, the specialist makes orthopedic restoration of the crown part, for which a microprosthesis is used;
- If a piece of the front tooth has fallen off and it scratches the tongue, then the doctor can use thin onlays - veneers. They are matched to the color of the enamel and look like a natural bone surface. If the restoration process does not help, then the dentist cleans the canal and installs the implant tab. Analogs of the previous version are lumineers, which are attached to the top layer of enamel, but they can be removed. To install, you will have to visit the dentist twice;
- If the chip on the front tooth is small, then the doctors also do composite restoration. The filling paste is visually similar to a reflective filling, but at the same time it is much stronger, which allows it to withstand heavy loads. After the first procedure, the problem will be fixed. The process of restoring a tooth is very similar to filling caries. First, the dentist cleanses the chip area using a drill, and then applies the polymer and treats it with an ultraviolet lamp. After that, a transparent composition that imitates enamel is distributed. The disadvantages of this procedure include the fact that when chewing dense food, a piece can break off again. In addition, after a while, the built-up fabric loses its shine and begins to stand out.
Please note that if treatment is not carried out on time, the situation may worsen. Moreover, such a problem can provoke the development of diseases of the stomach, heart, liver, kidneys and other systems and organs.
To avoid problems, you must follow some care rules:
- Maintain the health of your teeth and visit your dentist regularly for examinations and necessary treatment;
- To strengthen the enamel, it is necessary to eat foods that contain calcium. For prevention, it will not be superfluous to take a vitamin and mineral complex;
- Start and finish every day with brushing and use a fluoride-containing paste best. It is also recommended to use dental floss;
- Limit your intake of sweets and soda. Bad habits, such as smoking, negatively affect the condition of the enamel.
Now you know what to do if a piece of a tooth has fallen off. Use these recommendations and if you have a problem, see your doctor. Don't forget about prevention, as the problem is better prevented than cured.