Table of contents:
- Blown out the lower back: symptoms
- How to determine what blew your back: diagnosis
- How to heal when your back is blown
- Blown your back during pregnancy: folk recipes
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Many are familiar with the discomfort when the back is blown out. This condition causes severe discomfort, which significantly impairs the quality of life. You can fight it at home, but you need to take action immediately - a neglected ailment provokes complications.
The most common culprit is a sharp temperature drop. This usually happens in the summer, when people avoid the heat in every possible way. Physical activity on the street, a draft, a working air conditioner, hypothermia - all this contributes to myositis - muscle inflammation. And in the cold season, the culprit is most often light clothing that does not cover the body well.
Blown out the lower back: symptoms
The main symptom is pain. It is provoked by muscle spasm and inflammation. This symptom has the following characteristics:
- pain is constant, aggravated by body movement (turning, stretching, tilting, inhaling / exhaling, coughing, laughing, etc.);
- may appear suddenly when moving. Then the patient takes a forced position, because it hurts him to return to the starting position (eg, unbend after tilting);
- does not go away after rest;
- the character is aching, pulling, annoying, when moving - shrill;
- usually not symmetrical;
- increases with palpation. When palpating, nodules / dense cords, swelling are found in the muscles.
Other symptoms of something that blew your back:
- Redness, itching, burning - sometimes appear in a sore spot;
- Temperature rise - sometimes;
- Symptoms spread to the buttock and even to the entire leg from the affected side. This occurs with the simultaneous inflammation of the nerve endings of the spine. In women, the appendages of the uterus may hurt on one side;
- Sometimes the stomach hurts, especially when urinating. Also, the urge may become more frequent. This happens when the inflammatory process spreads to the organs of the genitourinary system. It should be noted that they are very sensitive to temperature extremes. In women, the ovaries may become inflamed, as evidenced by pain in the lower abdomen.
In acute myositis, muscle weakness, general malaise, and increased fatigue are observed. It is difficult for the patient to get up, dress, walk. In severe cases, when physical activity is very low, muscle atrophy occurs.
If you do not treat the disease, do not complete the course, or choose it incorrectly, then the probability of its transition to a chronic form is high. The latter, as you know, proceeds with periods of exacerbation and remission. The chronic course is accompanied by constant muscle weakness and muscle atrophy.
It happens that acute myositis becomes purulent. This happens when a bacterial infection is attached.
The symptoms are as follows:
- significant temperature rise;
- increased pain intensity;
- thickening of sore muscles;
- constant muscle tension.
How to determine what blew your back: diagnosis
The symptoms listed above are inherent in many other diseases. Therefore, the diagnosis should include several studies:
- general and biochemical blood test;
- antibody tests;
- muscle biopsy;
- Ultrasound of the genitourinary system.
The doctor determines the necessary examinations individually, based on the history and examination results.
How to heal when your back is blown
Usually, the ailment can be cured at home. First of all, you need to visit a doctor to confirm the diagnosis.
The doctor will give the following recommendations:
- The first days, ensure complete rest of the back, keep it warm;
- For the first 3 days, bed rest is recommended (on a hard surface);
- Reception of NSAIDs (ave. "Dikloberl", "Diclofenac", "Revmoxicam", "Indomethacin", "Movalis");
- You can quickly get rid of severe pain by taking an anesthetic (ex."Spazmalgon", "Analgin", "Baralgin", "Ketorol");
- Smear a sore lower back with warming creams and gels (ave. "Kapsikam", "Voltaren", "Slonts", "Analgos", "Finalgon", "Apizartron", "Nikoflex"). When choosing how to smear the lower back, you need to read the instructions and pay attention to contraindications. Doctors recommend using gels, not ointments, for lesions of the muscles of the lower back and thoracic back. After processing, they wrap themselves in a scarf or put on a warming belt;
- Apply dry heat: bags of warm salt / sand, heating pads, wear a sheep / dog wool belt;
- If there are no contraindications, you can use a pepper plaster;
- Put compresses from diluted alcohol / vodka;
- Do exercises to relax sore muscles (selected by the doctor);
- If you need to leave the house, dress strictly for the weather.
Attention! When doing warming procedures, the kidney area should be avoided - they should not be warmed up.
The doctor can refer to physiotherapy procedures:
- electrical muscle stimulation.
Physiotherapy is prescribed only when the patient's condition improves and he can visit the hospital.
With severe pain, novocaine blockade is prescribed - a mixture of novocaine and a corticosteroid hormone is injected into the lower back.
Blown your back during pregnancy: folk recipes
Herbal remedies can be used not only during pregnancy, but also supplement them with drug treatment. In mild cases, only such can be dispensed with.
Dry saline compress
It is best to use sea salt without additives. It is warmed up in a frying pan, poured into a canvas bag. The latter must be wrapped in addition with a cloth so as not to burn the skin. As the bag cools, the fabric is unwound.
Dry compresses increase blood flow, warm up well. After the compress, you can do a light massage of the sore area of the back.
Warming up is best done if the back is blown out in the thoracic region. Then the compress is placed between the shoulder blades.
This plant effectively relieves pain and inflammation, therefore it is often used by the people to treat a wide variety of ailments.
- You can apply a whole sheet, fix it with a bandage and leave it overnight. This method is safe even for women during pregnancy;
- Also, mixtures for rubbing are made from cabbage, for example, with horseradish, mustard and honey, but during the gestation period it is better to exclude those;
- During pregnancy, rubbing can be done only with honey - the mixture is smeared with the sore area every evening, wrapped up warmly and left overnight;
- You can simply grease a cabbage leaf with honey and apply it.
This agent is very effective in warming up and improving blood flow. It can be purchased at almost every pharmacy. Modern plasters include pain relievers, so their use is more enjoyable. Many patches have perforations so they do not cause discomfort.
During pregnancy, when the lower back has blown, you need to be careful with the pepper plaster. To apply it in this area to a woman in position is only under the supervision of a doctor.
Kneading the sore muscle lightly will help relieve tension. Massage is best done after water procedures (bath, shower). The procedure is contraindicated only in case of skin damage and severe pain.
Rubbing and compresses
When the lower back has blown, you can resort to a long-proven method - alcohol or vodka rubbing / compresses. There are practically no contraindications to this method. Alcohol improves nutrition and metabolism in the area to which it is applied.
During pregnancy, you should see a doctor, as lower back pain in women may be associated with diseases of the genitourinary system. And in the last stages of pregnancy, this is quite normal.
A neurologist will help in this case. You can also see a therapist or rheumatologist. Additional consultation with a gynecologist, urologist, nephrologist may be required. You may also need the help of a physiotherapist and massage therapist.