Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Arthrosis is a degenerative-inflammatory disease of the joints, in which the structure of the cartilage and periarticular ligaments is disturbed. The treatment of the disease is carried out according to a complex method - medications for internal and external use, physiotherapy, therapeutic exercises, massage are used.
It is necessary to adjust the diet, to activate the lifestyle, it is desirable to connect the spa treatment.
External remedies for arthrosis are divided into several groups:
- anti-inflammatory and pain relievers;
- warming and vasodilating;
- stimulating regeneration.
The last group includes chondroprotective ointments.
For arthrosis, they are used for a long time, complementing chondroprotectors in tablets.
What external agents are most effective in the destruction of joints, and at what stage of the disease are they used?
Warming and vasodilators
The effectiveness of the action is provided by active ingredients that have a local irritant effect. With increased blood supply in the affected area, pain decreases, bone and cartilage tissues receive more nutrients and oxygen, which helps to reduce the destructive process.
The most commonly used drugs in this group:
- based on bee venom - Virapin, Apizartron, Ungapiven;
- the main active ingredient is snake venom - Viprobel, Voltaren, Vipratox;
- as part of red pepper - "Espol";
- menthol + essential oils of clove, camphor and eucalyptus - "Gevkamen";
- salicylate + capsacin + ethyl nicotinate - "Niklofex";
- pronounced analgesic effect due to procaine + menthol and benosocaine - "Menovazin".
Funds are rubbed into the problem area with vigorous movements. It is better to perform the procedure before bedtime so as not to chill the affected joint.
Contraindications for use:
- individual intolerance;
- violation of the integrity of the skin;
- dermatological diseases in the acute stage.
If a periodic exacerbation of arthrosis is caused by arthritis - an inflammatory process - it is necessary to postpone the use of funds until the transition of the disease in a state of remission.
You should not get carried away with ointments of this type - a long-term relaxing effect causes hyperextension of the articular ligaments, which can provoke a violation of the stability of the joint.
Anti-inflammatory and pain relieving external agents
For joint pain, external drugs of this group are most popular. As soon as the elbows or lower back begin to "ache", a chain is formed in the head: arthrosis - treatment - NVPS ointment. Non-steroidal drugs are very popular.
These drugs simultaneously reduce the temperature of the skin in the affected area - it stops "burning", reduce swelling, stop inflammation - if arthrosis is caused by exacerbation of arthritis, reduce the limitation of the range of motion.
The most commonly used ointments from the NVPS group:
- "Diclofenac", "Diklobern", "Voltaren" - active ingredient diclofenac;
- "Fastum" "Ketonal" - quickly relieves pain, the main active ingredient is ketoprofen;
- Dolobene - as a part of dimethyl sulfoxide;
- "Metindol", "Indomethacin" - indomethacin;
- "Dolgit", "Deep Relief" - in the composition of ibuprofen, an additional warming effect;
- "Nise", "Nimulid", "Nimesulide" - the active substance is nimesulide.
These medicines are ideal for treating joints - they relieve pain, quickly eliminate inflammation during exacerbations of arthritis, but they are not recommended for long-term use. The side effect is the same as for oral preparations - they have a destructive effect on the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract. Since the active substance is absorbed through the skin, prolonged use can cause gastrointestinal bleeding.
Chondroprotectors - ointments for arthrosis of the joints
Chondroprotective ointments and gels contain the same active ingredient as oral chondroprotectors - chondroitin sulfate. They are rubbed into the skin over the sore joints after the exacerbation of arthrosis subsides.
Treatment with external chondoprotectors without the use of oral preparations is not effective for the restoration of cartilage tissue in the joints, they only eliminate pain.
The most commonly used chondroprotectors are:
- "Chondroxide" -gel. One tube is enough for a course of treatment, which is 3-4 weeks. Frequency rate of application - 2-3 times a day;
- "Chondrogart" - when using this chondroprotector, you need to analyze your own feelings, you need to rub it in quite a bit - a thin layer is applied to a small area above the affected joint. The frequency of application is also 2-3 times a day, but the treatment can be continued until the mobility of the joint is restored.
Indications for the use of chondroprotectors in the treatment of joints:
- with osteoarthritis at any stage;
- with osteochondrosis;
- with arthrosis;
- with spondylosis, this is a disease in which osteophytes appear in the joint cavity and along the growths of the bone tissue of the spine;
- with periarthritis and arthritis;
- with chondromalacia of the patella - this is the name of the softening of the cartilage.
Contraindications for the use of chondroprotectors:
- pregnancy and lactation;
- individual intolerance;
- violation of blood clotting;
- inflammatory processes on the skin.
Side effects in the treatment of external agents correspond to the undesirable reactions with oral administration of chondroprotectors: nausea, vomiting, bloating, constipation or diarrhea, urticaria, angioedema.
How to use arthrosis ointment
When choosing an ointment for the treatment of joint pain, you should consult with your doctor.
Despite the fact that these products are sold without a prescription, each of them is used for different stages of the disease and has a special effect.
- It is necessary to read the instructions in order to know the features of the application.
- Clean the skin thoroughly before applying the product.
- Ointments are applied 2-3 times a day, those that have a warming effect cannot be rubbed before going outside - you can chill a sore joint.
- When treating NSAIDs, the course should not exceed 10 days; if chondoprotectors are used, the duration of use must be agreed with the attending physician.
If the desired effect is not achieved during treatment, it is necessary to change the drug.
Home remedies focus more on local irritation. The pain is eliminated by accelerating blood microcirculation in the affected joint. It is impossible to make ointment-chondroprotectors at home.
Ural ointment: mustard powder, paraffin wax (wax) and edible salt are mixed in equal amounts. A mixture of pasty consistency is placed in a glass container and allowed to brew for 8 hours in a dark place. Apply to the joint at night, preheating. Anti-inflammatory agent - can be used for arthrosis and arthritis in all stages. Steam in equal amounts of herbal raw materials - sweet clover, hops, St. John's wort, and mix with pharmacy petroleum jelly. Insist 2 hours, use for massage. The proportions of the mixture are 1 part of herbal raw materials / 2 vaseline.
Complementing the treatment according to home recipes are remedies that replace chondroprotectors when used orally - dishes with gelatin. With arthrosis, it is very useful to add jelly and jellied meat to the daily menu.
When using home methods for the treatment of joints, you should first inform your doctor.