Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
With arthrosis of the knee joint, the pain does not appear overnight, it has an increasing character and begins with minor aching sensations in the affected area. A person gradually gets used to discomfort and pays attention to it only with an increase in the load on the legs or with a sharp change in the weather.
At the first degree of arthrosis of the knee joint, it is possible to do with a short physical rest, tight bandages and rubbing with ointments with NSAIDs in the composition.
As the disease progresses, the pain increases until it becomes unbearable. Then the time comes for strong anesthetics, which only a doctor should prescribe.
Painkillers for arthrosis of the knee joint are considered a mandatory component of complex therapy. With their help, a person gets the opportunity to lead an almost familiar way of life, reduce temperature, reduce inflammation and edema in case of exacerbation of pathology.
The most common non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and anesthetic products are available in various pharmacological forms, in the form of tablets, ointments, injection solutions, etc.
What to choose from all this variety?
Tableted pain relievers for arthrosis of the knee joint are taken only after consultation with the observing doctor, and are used to eliminate discomfort during an exacerbation of the disease. Each remedy has an impressive list of contraindications, which you need to familiarize yourself with in advance. It is strictly forbidden to use such anesthetics for a long time, since it is likely to worsen the current condition.
Pain relievers for arthrosis of the knee joint:
- Aspirin is a common non-steroidal drug with anti-inflammatory properties. With its help, it is possible to block pain and slow down the destructive processes in cartilaginous tissues. To achieve these effects, you need to take six tablets a day. Despite their apparent harmlessness, these pills are prohibited from using in case of a tendency to internal bleeding, allergies, asthma, gastrointestinal diseases, renal dysfunctions, pregnancy, etc. The dosage of the drug is determined only by the doctor, but cannot exceed 8 pills per day.
- Indomethacin is a product with strong analgesic properties. With acute arthrosis of the knee joint, it lowers the temperature, relieves swelling and reduces the manifestations of the inflammatory process in general. The permissible daily dose is determined by the doctor, but cannot exceed 200 mg. The drug is fully ordered for ulcerative pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract, pregnancy and breastfeeding. Due to its ability to cause dizziness, Indomethacin is used with caution in drivers, machine operators, etc.
- Ibuprofen, which, in the case of arthrosis of the knee joint, relieves pain much faster than other drugs, simultaneously relieving inflammation. The daily dose is calculated taking into account the intensity of pain and the stage of the disease, but never exceeds 200 mg. Ibuprofen has a bad effect on the condition of the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract, and therefore it should not be used for pathologies of the intestines, esophagus or stomach.
- Phenylbutazone, an analgesic, decongestant and anti-inflammatory agent, which is prescribed in cases of severe and prolonged pain in arthrosis of the knee joint. The product retains fluid in the body, and therefore, during the treatment with Phenylbutazone, everything that is salty and thirsty must be abandoned. It is allowed to take no more than three pills per day. Please note that the tool has a very impressive list of contraindications, and therefore only a few can use it. People with gastrointestinal diseases, asthma, allergies, puffiness, problems with blood pressure, liver pathologies, etc. forced to look for an analogue to it.
The strongest pain in arthrosis of the knee joint can be relieved only by emergency measures, using drugs for intramuscular injections.
All of them are divided into four huge groups, namely:
- Analgesics that relieve directly the pain itself;
- Antispasmodics. Their task is to relieve spasm from the muscles surrounding the diseased joint. Among them, the most pronounced analgesic abilities are demonstrated by Mydocalm based on tolperisone hydrochloride. The list of contraindications to this drug includes: allergy to the medication itself, myasthenia gravis and age up to a year;
- Non-steroidal drugs with anti-inflammatory qualities like Ibuprofen and Ketonal, which simultaneously relieve pain and swelling. The active ingredient of the latter product is ketoprofen, due to which painful sensations are relieved. The dosage and regularity of administration is determined only by the doctor, he also introduces the person to the course regarding contraindications. And it is worth noting that there are a lot of them. Ketonal for arthrosis of the knee joint is prohibited for people with hemophilia, Crohn's disease, gastrointestinal tract pathologies, dyspepsia, pregnant women, lactating women, etc.;
- Steroid drugs that quickly restore mobility to the joint, facilitate movement and accelerate the recovery of damaged tissues.
Painkillers for injections directly into the joint are divided into two large groups:
- Hormones of the corticosteroid type, which do not have healing properties, and require the simultaneous administration of liquid vitamin B. Among them, for arthrosis of the knee joint, Flosterone or betamethasone in a liquid state is most often used. The doctor determines the maintenance and emergency dose of the drug, as well as the method of administration (dropper, injection). Take into account the huge list of contraindications to this product, which is relevant only in the case of intra-articular administration;
- Novocaine blockade, implying the simultaneous intramuscular administration of novocaine and vitamins, excluding the negative administration of the main medication.
Anesthetics in the form of ointments
The painful sensations that invariably accompany the destructive processes in the knee joint area can sometimes be relieved by applying external preparations - ointments based on herbal ingredients, snake or bee venom, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory inclusions, etc.
Among all the variety, the following drugs can be distinguished:
- "Diclofenac" or "Voltaren" gel with the same active ingredient, but a solid price difference;
- Gels "Fastum" and "Ketonal" based on ketoprofen - a powerful anesthetic and anti-inflammatory substance;
- Nise gel based on nimesulide;
- "Dolgit" based on ibuprofen. Due to it, swelling and pain go away from the knee joint.
It is difficult to say for sure which drugs from the above will help remove pain from your joint. All of this is established through trial and error, which can be reduced with the help of a professional therapist.
Observing the course of the joint disease and the state of the body as a whole, he will be able to quickly select the appropriate drugs that quickly and effectively relieve the symptoms of acute and chronic arthrosis. Moreover, they will be aimed not only at anesthesia, but also at slowing down the destructive processes in the articular tissue.