Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. The disease often becomes chronic. To prevent its exacerbation, several methods are used, including exercise therapy.
Knee gymnastics for arthritis
This method of treatment can only be used during periods of remission of the disease. As a rule, the performance conditions are lightweight, that is, the exercises are done while sitting, lying down.
Gymnastics in water has proved to be highly effective. A visit to the pool is the best option for patients with arthritis.
What are the benefits of physical education:
- pain syndrome decreases. Exercise in warm water is especially beneficial;
- bone / cartilage tissue is restored;
- muscles are strengthened, which allows you to stop the process of joint deformation.
Exercise is contraindicated in case of exacerbation of chronic arthritis. This stage of the disease requires rest and posture treatment. The diseased leg is fixed so as to exclude the appearance of contractures.
The latter is a natural reaction to pain and muscle hypertonicity. For example, in case of violation of the extensor function, the leg is fixed with a splint in an unbent state.
Other contraindications to exercise therapy:
- severe diseases of internal organs (pneumonia, myocarditis, pleurisy, etc.);
- acute infections;
- heart failure 2 and 3 degrees.
You can start exercise therapy only after the acute inflammation has been arrested. Beginning exercises in the supine position (on the back). Moreover, the bulk of the load falls on the healthy joints of the leg. If there are no unpleasant sensations, then the knee is gradually involved in the exercises. He is shown a gentle load, for example, swinging. The latter are performed very slowly, carefully, with a small range of motion. Then the loads are gradually increased.
Warm-up complex for arthritis of the knee joint
Each lesson should begin with a warm-up. You can grind the sore knee beforehand.
The optimal start is a calm walk.
- The starting position (hereinafter referred to as IP) is standing, arms lowered, legs apart shoulder-width apart. On inhalation, the arms are raised, and on the exhale, they are lowered. Perform up to 12 times;
- IP - standing, arms spread apart, legs apart shoulder-width apart. Hands rotate back and forth. 5 rotations are performed in each direction;
- IP - sitting on the floor, arms are freely lowered, legs and back are straightened. The head is rotated left and right, then in a circle. The duration of the exercise is 30 seconds.
A set of exercises for the knee joint
When the warm-up is over, the muscles are warmed up, you can proceed directly to exercise therapy for the legs.
- IP - standing, legs at a distance of about 20 cm from one another. Put your palms on your knees and make slow clockwise rotations, then in the opposite direction. Enough 5 rotations in one direction;
- IP - lying on your back, right leg straight, left knee bent. The left knee is clasped with both hands and pulled to the chest as much as possible, delayed for 5 seconds. Then the left limb is straightened, raised, again held in position for 5 seconds and returned to the PI. The exercise is similarly performed with the other limb. At the initial stages, it is enough to perform it 2 times for each leg. Then the number is increased to 10;
- IP - sitting on a chair, arms along the body. Take one leg aside, linger for 5 seconds, return to the IP. Do the same for the second. 5 exercises are performed for each limb;
- IP - lying on your back, hands are along the body, legs are raised. The legs are bent-unbend at the knee joints. Perform 10 times. The rhythm is moderate;
- IP - lying on your back, arms under the waist, legs bent at the knees at right angles. On inhalation, the legs are raised, on exhalation they return to the PI. Repeat up to 8 times;
- IP - sitting on a chair. One leg is straightened, raised parallel to the floor, lowered into the IP. Do the same for the other. Perform up to 15 times for each limb;
- IP - lying on your stomach. One leg is bent at the knee joint and the heel is pulled to the buttock, and returned to the IP. Care should be taken to keep the hips flat on the floor. Do the same for the other. Perform up to 8 times for each limb;
- IP - lying on your stomach. Both legs bend-unbend at the same time. Repeat up to 6 times.
A set of exercises for chronic arthritis with contractures
If the disease has reached this stage, the following exercises are suitable:
- Lie on your back. The hand is placed on the knee and led to the sides - back and forth, left and right. The same is done for the other limb. It is enough to make 6 movements in each direction;
- Roll over on your stomach, put the diseased limb on the healthy one. Bend-unbend the first with the second. 10 repetitions are enough;
- Sit on the sofa, bend your knees a little. The diseased limb is wrapped around the thigh and bent, placing it on the sofa. This is a very effective exercise - the sore joint is passively bent, a gentle load is placed on it. Then, with the help of their hands, they return to the IP. Perform up to 10 times;
- Lie on your side (the affected leg should be on top). The limb is flexed-unbend at the knee up to 8 times;
- Sit on the sofa, wrap your hands around the thigh of the affected leg. Raise it without lifting the heel off the surface. During the exercise, the limb should be relaxed. Run 10 times;
- Sit on the sofa, lower both legs from it, put the patient on the healthy one. Bend the first one with the second. Run up to 7 times, then change the position of the limbs and repeat;
- Stand straight, put your hands on your waist. Take your healthy leg back, placing it on your toe. In this case, you need to bend the sore leg at the knee joint. By repeating the movement, they hold the position longer.
Swimming for knee arthritis
In addition to the complexes listed above, brisk walking will be useful. It can be practiced when the exercises are already quite intense. It is with this that it is recommended to finish each lesson. Along with exercise therapy and brisk walking, breathing exercises are performed.
Swimming has a very good effect on health. Water significantly relieves stress on the damaged joint, while remaining complete freedom of movement.
But the pool water should be warm. It will relieve pain syndrome, while a cool one will only intensify it.
Cycling is also beneficial. Optimal, of course, is to use a ligerad - recumbent bike. The peculiarity of such a simulator is that the person using it is in a reclining position. Thanks to this position, the load on the spinal column, joints, knees do not bend so much.
As a result, the range of motion of the latter increases, and deformity is prevented.
Therapeutic exercises for arthritis began to be practiced relatively recently. Scientists have proven that an active rhythm of life has a beneficial effect on the joints, and the risk of various complications decreases.
Pain syndrome limits mobility. When the joint is no longer stressed, contractures occur. As a result, the patient loses the ability to walk, and severe disability occurs. Therefore, after the relief of acute inflammation, it is necessary to immediately start exercise therapy.