Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine is quite common.
Causes of degenerative-dystrophic changes in the spine:
- lack of physical activity;
- constitutional features;
- violation of metabolic processes in the body;
- hereditary factors.
The condition worsens with exacerbation of chronic and infectious diseases, after hypothermia, due to an inactive lifestyle, with hormonal imbalance.
The pain syndrome is very strong, so the first stage of treatment is the appointment of painkillers.
Symptoms and stages of osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine
At first, the patient feels only minor discomfort. It occurs only after physical exertion or being in an uncomfortable position for a long time. As soon as the posture changes or the load ends, the vertebral discs begin to collapse.
At the second stage, the destruction of the annulus fibrosus begins, the gelatinous contents leave the membrane, the nerve roots are pinched, the pain intensifies. It extends to the upper part of the buttocks, is given to the thighs.
If treatment does not begin at this stage, the discs in the lumbar spine are already markedly deformed. The development of vertebral hernias begins, the patient already complains of constant pain, which can appear even at night with reflex movements in a dream.
The fourth stage is the onset of disability. It becomes difficult for the patient to be in an upright position, movement becomes difficult.
Symptoms of osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine are increasing progressively:
- at first the patient only feels discomfort;
- lumbar and radicular syndrome develop;
- ischemic syndrome.
The following syndromes can be distinguished with degenerative-dystrophic changes in the spine in the lumbar spine.
- Lumbago is the popular name for "lumbago". The pain spreads to the pelvic region, radiates to the anterior wall of the peritoneum, to the sacrum, to the upper thighs. Lumbago is often caused by careless sudden movements, heavy lifting, lack of warm-up during training.
- Lumboischialgia - pain radiating to the lower extremities, can cause partial paralysis;
- Radicular syndrome is a strong painful sensation in the lumbar spine.
Pain in lumbar osteochondrosis can be so strong that the body reacts to degenerative-dystrophic changes as an inflammatory process. Fever, nausea, dizziness appear, sweating increases. Because of painful sensations, a person tries to avoid bends and turns, limits motor activity, as a result of which muscle tone decreases and hypotrophy begins. The main goal of treatment for osteochondrosis is to eliminate discomfort and pain, to restore the mobility of the spine and the range of motion in the lumbar region.
The choice of painkillers for osteochondrosis
The choice of drugs to eliminate pain in osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine depends on the stage of the disease, its intensity and the general condition of the patient - a history of chronic diseases.
It is necessary that the drugs are prescribed by a doctor - the independent use of painkillers can lead to an aggravation of the condition. Severe pain cannot be tolerated - this can cause the development of the inflammatory process.
When a severe pain syndrome appears with osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine, at the first stage, immobilization is required - ensuring immobility. The patient is advised to rest in bed. Recovery begins only after the elimination of pain.
Low back pain - osteochondrosis - treatment
Drugs that are prescribed to eliminate pain in osteochondrosis can be divided into several groups.
Anti-inflammatory nonsteroidal drugs - NSAIDs
The main advantages: they quickly relieve pain and eliminate inflammation, lower the temperature - if any, they are available in several forms: tablets, injections, capsules, suppositories, in the form of ointments and gels. For children, suspensions and solutions are used.
The disadvantages of drugs of the NSAID group are the frequent development of side effects, an aggressive effect on the mucous membrane of the digestive organs and the gastrointestinal tract. Because of this, the use of non-steroidal drugs is limited to 5 days for the older generation, and a week for more modern ones.
They belong to the NVPS group.
- "Indomethacin", "Ketoprofen" - with the same active substances;
- "Reumafen", "Nurofen", "Ibuprofen" - with ibuprofen;
- Diclofenac, Dicloranartrosan, Voltaren - with diclofenac.
- Oxycams: Lornoxicam, Meloxicam, Tenoxicam, Piroxicam.
- The drugs of the latest generation - the active active ingredient - nimesulide: "Nise", "Nemid", "Nimesil".
- Also, the latest generation means - coxibs - "Rofecoxib", "Etorikoksib". Celecoxib, Percoxib.
In case of acute pain, the form of injections is chosen, with less pronounced - pills. Capsules irritate the digestive tract less, suppositories are absorbed faster than tablets, and in case of acute pain in the lumbar spine, they can compete with injections.
If the treatment of osteochondrosis requires more potent agents, anesthetic anesthetics are used. They can be used as intramuscular injections, or, in a hospital setting, blockages are made.
The affected area is injected with anesthetic injections:
They stop the sensitivity of the nerve roots, and eliminate painful sensations for a long time.
It should be borne in mind that drugs enter the bloodstream, which can affect the general condition. General contraindications to drugs of this group: renal and hepatic failure, advanced age of the patient, cardiovascular failure - the possibility of an adrenaline crisis increases.
With especially acute pain, narcotic analgesics are used one-time - they are used only when hospitalized in a hospital.
The following drugs can also be used:
- "Analgin". Side effect - affects the blood formula.
- Oxadol. When treated in a hospital, they are administered intravenously along with glucose to block dopamine and serotonin receptors, which produce back impulses from the central nervous system.
- Ambene. The drug has a complex action, eliminates spasms and inflammation.
- Tramal. Analgesic - active active ingredient - opium. Outside the hospital, he is not prescribed.
At home, drugs of the NSAID group are used in the form of ointments and gels. They reduce soreness, relieve tension in the lumbar region, and allow you to relax. But you need to keep in mind - in whatever form the painkillers are used, the same side effects develop from them.
Traditional medicine to eliminate pain during exacerbation of osteochondrosis offers - in most cases - rubbing, compresses, lotions, homemade ointments. These funds have a short-term effect, and it is not recommended to use them without a doctor's prescription.
Pain in the lumbar region causes not only an exacerbation of lumbar osteochondrosis, but also renal colic or inflammatory processes of organs that are in the pelvic region.
If such diseases are provoked by the introduction of an infection, then pathogenic microorganisms can spread through the bloodstream, and then other organs will have to be treated.