Table of contents:
- Curettage - cleansing the uterine cavity
- Indications for
- When menstruation begins after cleansing
- Consequences of curettage of the uterine cavity
- Painful sensations
- Sexual relations
- Pregnancy and childbirth after curettage of the uterine cavity
- Treatment and rehabilitation after curettage of the uterine cavity
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
The scraping procedure, which is popularly called cleaning, causes concern in many women. The fact is that doctors do not always explain in an accessible way why it needs to be carried out and what are the consequences.
Any woman who has been prescribed cleaning should ask the attending physician in detail about the features of the procedure, the possible consequences, what kind of anesthesia will be used, etc.
The event should be carried out only by a qualified gynecologist, because the appearance of complications will largely depend on his experience.
In addition, a woman must strictly follow the prescriptions and prescriptions of a specialist, responsibly and carefully treat her body.
Curettage - cleansing the uterine cavity
In this pear-shaped muscle organ, a fertilized egg grows and develops - the unborn child. Inside, it is protected by a special shell - the endometrium. During the menstrual cycle, this mucous membrane changes.
When the egg is not fertilized, it is rejected, that is, menstruation begins. When cleaning, the doctor removes only the top layer of the endometrium. After that, the protective layer is restored on its own.
Cleaning can be done separately or normally. Separate involves cleansing the cervical canal, and then the organ cavity. The scraping obtained by this method is sent for histological examination, which allows the doctor to give the patient a more accurate diagnosis.
Hysteroscopy of the uterus and conventional curettage
The hysteroscopy procedure is a more modern method than separate diagnostic cleaning. It is safer and more convenient. In the process, a small device is used, which is inserted into the cavity of the organ and allows you to see the course of the entire treatment / diagnostic process.
In this case, traditional scraping is carried out "blindly", and this, in turn, increases the risk of disorders and complications, for example, genital trauma. Hysteroscopy allows you to fully control the course of the procedure and its results.
It is recommended to carry out such activities a few days before the onset of menstruation. Then the body will recover faster.
There is a therapeutic and diagnostic curettage of the uterine cavity.
The main indications for conducting are:
- Miscarriage. The procedure is prescribed to remove parts of the placenta from the uterus;
- Pathology of the cervix. If, upon examination, the doctor discovered a new formation, especially of a malignant nature, then they are sent for a similar procedure;
- Frozen pregnancy;
- Breaking the cycle. Intermenstrual bleeding, non-pregnancy, heavy and prolonged periods, bleeding during menopause are indications for cleaning for diagnostic purposes. It is carried out if the causes of the above phenomena are not found;
- Changes in the endometrium revealed by ultrasound. It is carried out in the presence of thickenings and local formations. When the endometrium is thicker than normal, mucosal hyperplasia occurs. Endometrial polyp is also an indication. It is worth noting that after the procedure, it, in most cases, no longer grows;
- Synechia - intrauterine adhesions;
- Remains of the ovum after abortion / childbirth.
When menstruation begins after cleansing
The first menstruation occurs after 4-5 weeks. But this period is influenced by the individual characteristics of the organism and the state of health. Delay may arise in the case of an abortion. Termination of pregnancy is stressful for the body, so it needs more time to recover.
Too abundant or very scarce discharge, too painful contraction of the uterus after the procedure, fever are reasons to visit a doctor. The regular cycle is restored after about 3 months. If violations are still observed, then you need to contact a specialist.
Consequences of curettage of the uterine cavity
Uncommon, but still the following unpleasant phenomena may occur:
- Hematometer. Due to a spasm of the neck, blood accumulates inside the penis, which increases the risk of infection;
- Neck tear. The main cause of these complications is the nipple of the bullet forceps. Organs with minor damage are restored on their own, large ones need to be stitched;
- Perforation of the uterus. The organ can be pierced with the tools used during the operation. Large lesions require suturing;
- Inflammation of the genitals. It is provoked, as a rule, by the lack of a course of antibiotics and violation of the rules of antiseptics. The symptom of this complication is most often a high fever;
- Damage to the growth layer of the endometrium. Such an injury is difficult to treat. It is highly likely that he will not recover;
- Pathological formation that was not completely or not at all removed during cleaning. The situation requires a repeat procedure. Sometimes formations (eg polyps) appear again.
At the end of the procedure, spotting will disturb for several days.
Contraction of the uterus, like bleeding, after curettage, disturbs a maximum of 10 days.
The discharge may be clotted or smudged. If this phenomenon scares the abundance or lasts longer, then some complication has arisen.
Also, the rapid cessation of secretions, accompanied by a rise in temperature and pain, requires medical attention. A rise in temperature to 37.5 ° is considered acceptable.
Discharge after cleaning
- Brownish ones indicate blood clotting, that is, the bleeding will soon stop;
- Profuse, bloody, with soreness and fever, with an unpleasant odor. We can talk about the presence of complications;
- Yellow. Indicate that there is an infection in the body and antibiotics must be taken.
White mucous discharge is normally restored when the blood stops and there are no complications.
After general or local anesthesia ceases to work, which is done when scraping the uterus, the patients complain of significant pain. The sensations can last from a few hours to two to three days. To alleviate the patient's condition, the doctor prescribes pain relievers.
Many women complain of pulling abdominal pains. This phenomenon is quite common. So that blood clots do not accumulate in the cavity of the organ and to eliminate pain, antispasmodics are prescribed (ave. No-shpa). Usually they are taken three times a day on a pill.
For 2 weeks, a woman is strictly not recommended to have sex.
It is optimal to abstain for a month. After the procedure, the uterus remains open for some time, and its endometrium is injured, so there is a high risk of infection, which can lead to serious complications.
In addition, intercourse can be painful at first. If this continues for more than 2 months, an examination by a gynecologist is necessary.
Pregnancy and childbirth after curettage of the uterine cavity
The body will be ready for conception very soon - in 2-3 weeks. As a rule, the procedure does not affect the course of the birth process.
A doctor should be consulted when the planned pregnancy does not occur within 9 months. The ability to conceive after such an event is very rarely impaired.
If a woman is planning a pregnancy, she should definitely consult a gynecologist. He will be able to adequately assess the situation and find the most optimal time for conception.
Treatment and rehabilitation after curettage of the uterine cavity
Gynecologists prescribe antibiotics in order to prevent infection from entering the body.
Sometimes treatment includes a course of oxytocin injections to prevent pathological bleeding.
14 days after the event, you need to be examined by a gynecologist again.
During these two weeks, you cannot use tampons, douche, sexual intercourse is not encouraged. Sports and other heavy physical activity are contraindicated.