Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alfred Shackley | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 13:14
With the arrival of summer, cherry dumplings become one of the most popular delicacies. Fragrant berries in a dough shell are a cross between a second and a dessert. They are quite appropriate as a full breakfast or a light snack for an afternoon snack. Unpretentious in appearance, the dish nevertheless has its own cooking secrets.
Dumplings are considered to be a Ukrainian national dish, but in fact, this is a common Slavic dish, since it, one way or another, is in the culture of many countries, including Russia.
These boiled dough products with different fillings differ from each other only in appearance, and the principle of their preparation is almost the same.
Various fillings are wrapped in unleavened dough: meat, vegetables, fruits, berries, cottage cheese.
So, for example, the analogue of Ukrainian dumplings in Russia are dumplings, in Eastern Russia - ears, manti, and in Western Russia - sorcerers.
There is a similar dish in China - wontons, in the Caucasus - khinkali, in Italy - ravioli. As already mentioned, the main differences are the filling, the sculpting method and minor differences in the dough recipe.
It is difficult to spoil the taste of cherries, but not everyone succeeds in kneading the correct dough. Let's figure it out.
- flour - two glasses;
- refined vegetable oil - 2 tbsp. l.;
- salt - half a teaspoon;
- water (boiling water) - one glass;
- cherries - 700 g;
- sugar - 1 tbsp. l.
How to make the dough:
- Sift flour into a deep and wide bowl, add salt and stir.
- Make a groove in the flour, pour vegetable oil there and, pouring in hot water in portions, quickly knead the dough.
- Let the finished mass cool to room temperature.
- Cook the cherries at this time. Rinse the berries under running water and use a hairpin or a special tool to remove the seeds. Put the prepared cherries in a colander and let the excess liquid drain.
- Put the dough on the table and knead until smooth and smooth. Don't be too zealous: it wasn't too harsh. If the mass continues to stick to your hands, sprinkle some flour on the table. As a result, it should be elastic and soft.
- Now cover the prepared mass with a towel and leave it to rest for 20 minutes.
How to make dumplings:
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces.
- After that, sprinkle flour on the table again and roll one part well into a layer no more than 3-5 mm thick. It shouldn't be thick, but it shouldn't tear either.
- Take a suitable glass with a neck diameter of about 8 cm and squeeze circles around the entire perimeter of the formation.
- Then put 3 cherries on these circles. Place half a teaspoon of sugar in the middle of each mug.
- Pin the edges and place the finished products on a floured cutting board.
- Do the same with the rest of the test.
- Cover the remaining berries with sugar so that they let juice in, which can be poured over the finished products.
How to cook dumplings with cherries
- Place a saucepan on the stove, into which pour two-thirds of the water.
- When the water starts to boil, add a little salt to it.
- Use a spoon to spin a funnel in boiling water and toss the dumplings one at a time to keep them from sticking together.
- Stir them gently as soon as they are added to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- After the dumplings float, they need to boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove them into a separate dish.
Ready-made dumplings can be poured with melted butter or cherry juice. It is also good to serve sour cream or cream with this dish.
Dumplings with steamed cherries
Whatever filling you put, steamed dumplings are guaranteed to turn out amazingly tasty, because the dough will be very airy, with a delicate and soft taste.
But the most successful products are made with cherries.
For the test:
- kefir - 250 ml;
- one egg;
- sugar - 1 tbsp. l;
- salt - half a teaspoon;
- flour - 3 cups;
- soda - 1 tsp;
- vegetable oil - 3 tbsp. l.
- cherry - two glasses;
- sugar - 100 gr.
- butter - 30 gr.
Kneading the dough:
- In a clean bowl, beat an egg with sugar, add kefir, vegetable oil, add salt and gradually add flour. Mix thoroughly.
- After that, in a separate bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of flour with baking soda. It will help the dough rise better.
- Put them on the table and start rubbing the dough into it.
- When it stops sticking to your hands, put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and start filling.
Making the filling:
- Rinse the berries well and pat dry with a paper towel.
- It is better to remove the bones. If you do not have a special tool, it is most convenient to do this with a hairpin or using an old garlic press (in Soviet times, such a function was provided for in them). Clamp the ends of the hairpin so that a "loop" is formed, press on the part of the cherry where the petiole was attached and gently pry the bone. Do this with all the berries.
- Do this just before using the filling, otherwise the berry will juice up.
We make dumplings:
- Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a floured table into a layer 3-4 mm thick. You can roll out the dough with a sausage and cut off into a small piece, roll each piece into a cake.
- Using a glass, squeeze out circles with a diameter of 7-8 cm.
- Place 3 cherries and half a teaspoon of sugar in the center of the circle, pinch the edges.
If you have a double boiler, the cooking process is greatly facilitated from now on. You just pour water into the pan, grease the mold with vegetable oil, lay out the semi-finished products and turn on the appropriate mode.
But if you do not have this wonderful unit, you will have to resort to the old grandmother's way:
- Place a pot filled with water on the stove, add a little salt to it and secure the cheesecloth on top. You can fix it with a linen elastic band or twine. The tension of the gauze should be such that it does not sag under the weight of the products and does not touch the water.
- Bring the water to a boil with a lid on the pot.
- Place semi-finished products on cheesecloth and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 7 minutes, then place them with a slotted spoon on a plate of butter.
Serve hot dumplings with sour cream.
- It is best to fry cold dumplings in butter before serving.
- In a slow cooker, a double boiler and a mantle cooker, the dish will turn out to be not so lush, but it cooks faster.
- The filling can be either fresh or from frozen berries, only before cooking they must be defrosted.
- For a puffier dough, sift flour before cooking.
- Kefir can be replaced with yogurt or yeast dough can be made.